Trackpad and keyboard lock up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaptSaltyJack, Dec 16, 2008.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

I've noticed my MacBook Pro (10.5.6) has been acting strangely - the keyboard and trackpad lock up randomly, and the only way to fix it is to close the MacBook screen (put it in sleep mode) then re-open it again, then it's fine. Very annoying though.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

I am. Haven't been able to figure out any kind of pattern for when it happens, yet, either.

It's pretty frustrating, though.

Also, it started for me before I ran the 10.5.6 update, and hasn't yet happened since the update. But I'm sure it will.

3. likegadgets macrumors 6502

Are you running parallels 4.0 by any chance? I have this lockup on my iMac if I leave a virtual machine in parallels 4 running. Takes a while but it happens.

4. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Nope. Never run parallels.

Usually seems to happen for me after I've left the computer alone for a little while. Occasionally has happened while switching between MS Word and iChat.

Like I said, no real pattern has emerged.

5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Try repairing permissions with Disk Utility or Onyx, then reboot.

6. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Repair permissions doesn't help. It's really quite bad, sometimes locking up constantly, and even putting the laptop into sleep mode doesn't fix - I have to force it to power off.

Can't tell if it's a hardware problem or a software problem. Plugging in a mouse into the USB port works fine.

7. stevemiller macrumors 65816

ugh. this problem just started happening to me too. i'll see if repairing permissions helps me...

8. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

My girlfriend found the problem. The battery is pressing on an orange'ish ribbon cable that's responsible for the keyboard/trackpad. The battery was applying pressure on that cable. I messed around with the cable a bit, reseated the battery a few times, and it seems to be OK now, though I might still pay a visit to the Apple Store to have them do a more official repair.

9. astrobdw macrumors newbie

I think it's iPhone related

I have what sounds like the exact same problem, but in my case it seems to only occur if I plug in my iPhone, and even then, not predictably.

Has anyone else noted whether this may correlate with iPhone (or other USB) being plugged in?

Drives me nuts.

10. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

I took my MBP in for servicing, since it's still under warranty. They replaced the "top case," which fixed the problem.