Trackpad and keyboard problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by decibel83, Aug 12, 2015.

1. decibel83 macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid 2012.
    Suddenly the trackpad stopped working and now it's dead.

The keyboard also has some problems: I cannot type "smoothly" anymore, and sometimes I have to retry to type the same key.
    The trackpad does not work in the login screen too, and I already tried to reset the SMC and the RAM.
    The Apple diagnostic does not find any problem.

I know it's an hardware problem, but I don't want to go to the Apple Store as the Mac is quite old.
    I replaced the display myself 6 month ago when it was broken, so I ask you for some advises I can check opening the computer another time to solve this problem.

Thank you very much for your support!
    Bye

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

3. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I have the same model (mid 2012 15 MBP). Two weeks ago I tried to clean a smudge off of one of my keys with only a mildly damp cloth (ie not soaked with water or anything). Next day: keyboard and trackpad malfunctioning like crazy (return key tying question marks "?", many keys not working at all. I did some searches for this issue and found something that worked to fix it "somewhat". Tap the "option" key 5 times! Somehow this fixed many keys that were not working, but not all. Keys Q thru O are still not working, plus Z & X. Long story short(er).....I have AppleCare, took it in last week, didn't mention the "keyboard cleaning".....they tested and were unable to fix it so ordered me a new top assembly (keyboard, trackpad, battery). I think the cost of this part is around $400 (covered by AppleCare).

Any chance you did something similar?

4. decibel83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much Dstofel for your answer!
    I don't think this could be my problem, because even the trackpad is completely dead!
    Now I am making a backup and then I'll try to check the battery!

5. decibel83 thread starter macrumors newbie

image.jpg
    Hi!
    I opened the back case and I don't see anything strange.
    I attach the pictures.
    Should I remove the battery to check it's not bulging from the other side?

image.jpg image.jpg

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Yes, do that. And when you have it out, check if you can now click your trackpad. If you can, then it is definitely the battery, as even though it can be hard to tell if it is bulging, it can affect the trackpad anyway.

I assumed by "dead trackpad", that you had trouble physically clicking the button?