Trackpad and Keyboard will not work. Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by janitorC7, Feb 26, 2009.

1. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Okay, so here is the problem:

I have a Unibody Macbook pro, and I just noticed this morning that the Keyboard and Mouse will not work (neither it seems will an external). However, its not a hardware issue (if I hold down Command Option P R It resets the NVRAM, and shift will bring it into safe boot). Does anybody have any idea what could be the cause of this problem?

Please and Thank You

JanC7

2. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I had the same thing happen to me.
    I went to the apple store and they couldn't figure it out either, they gave me a new machine, on the spot.

Did you change any of the usb files to jailbreak an iphone? If you did i think thats the problem.

Good Luck

3. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Yeah, I did try and change some files to jailbreak (but I never got the jailbreak to work) and that was a good week or so ago.

Thank you very much for the reply. Did you swap your old hard drive in the new machine? (would that bring over the damaged file as well?)

Any other ideas? Anybody?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

2 ideas:

1) I assume you've repaired drive permissions, reset the pram etc?

2) This has to work if its an OS X problem, try inserting the OS X install DVD's that came with your Mac during startup, and boot from those disks. Reinstall OS X and if everything isn't working then, then its a broken piece of hardware and you need your machine fixing by Apple.

5. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I am not sure how to fix this... but you can reinstall the OS, do you have a time machine backup?
    I think bringing the drive over will bring the problem over... I think i just got lucky with the genius....

Thats what the dev team says about the whole USB thing:

"Fixing DFU mode on 10.5.6

As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to temporarily restore DFU functionality in order to use QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

1. You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - http://developer.apple.com/mac/
    2. Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-315.4-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
    3. Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices, at the most leave a Keyboard and Mouse connected.
    4. Install IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
    5. Reboot your system!
    6. Perform necessary DFU activity with QuickPwn or PwnageTool.
    7. Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55”
    8. Intall IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.pkg from within the disk image
    9. Reboot your system!
    10. Reattach your USB peripherals."

6. janitorC7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

1) I reset pram, not sure how to go about disk permissions, can I do it remotley?

2) yeah, I plan on doing this as soon as I'm back home with my install disks.

7. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure its not a hardware problem because the keyboard works at a frimware level, but not at the os Level

8. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

Many people tried this and it worked... Good Luck
    I found this on a different forum:

"what we have: macbook (1.5 y.o.), leo 10.5.6
    what s the problem: after the fix, regular apple keyboard & logitech mouse + macbook's keyboard & touchpad not working, no way to install 10.5.6 combo update
    what i try: boot in safe mode, boot in single mode, fixing permissions (leo boot dvd > disk utility) - no answer from usb ports
    what we need: 1 flash drive (any capacity), 1 pc or mac (except not working mac), leopard install dvd, original file ( http://rapidshare.com/files/17681221....kext.zip.html ), 10.5.6 combo update ( http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...mboupdate.html )

1. copy file (IOUSBFamily.kext) to your flash drive (before downloading file, empty flash drive)
    make a folder structure on flash drive like this:

System>Library>Extensions
    put in Extensions folder file "IOUSBFamily.kext"

the way will look like this: FLASH_DRIVE_NAME/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

capitalization is very important!!

2. boot leo install dvd (hold "alt" button after power on), then go to "Utilities" > "Disk Utility"

click on your macintosh hard disk and go to "Restore" section
    drag your flash drive and drop it in "Source" empty bar
    drag you mac hard drive and drop in "Destination" empty bar

DO NOT MARK "Erase destination"!!!

Then click on "Restore"
    wait
    quit Disk Utility

3. go to "Utilities" > "Terminal" and type:
    chown -R root:wheel "/Volumes/NAME_OF_YOUR_MACINTOSH_HD/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/"
    chroot "/Volumes/NAME_OF_YOUR_MACINTOSH_HD/"
    kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

capitalization is very important!!

quit Terminal

4. go back to Disk Utility
    in section "First Aid" click on "Repair Disk Permissions"
    wait
    quit Disk Utility

5. restart your mac and hold "shift" button. mac os will boot in safe mode whit working usb ports

6. install 10.5.6 combo update

well done =) "

9. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

did you run monolingual? I have found if you remove items from the input menu w/o watching what you click, you keyboard will stop responding, both MBP keyboard and external.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Theres a ribbon cable connecting the keyboard and trackpad to the motherboard (logic board!) which can be knocked loose really easily. Unless you have some other idea how the keyboard and trackpad magically connect to the other computer parts? :rolleyes: