Trackpad + beer= well you know :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigJohno, Aug 20, 2009.

1. BigJohno macrumors 65816

So last night my buddy knocked over a beer on my top case of my UB macbook pro. I quickly grabbed it and turned it over hoping nothing would leak down inside. Well I don't think I did it fast enough because now my trackpad feels like there is something sticky underneath it. It doesn't click very well either. My question is, do I need to get a new trackpad? Will it eventually go away? Does Apple Care cover this? Should I take it apart? Should I spray contact cleaner?

2. felt. macrumors 6502a

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I strongly suspect Apple Care would not cover this, but I'd still call them. Wait until it no longer spells like a brewery first.

What happened to your "buddy"?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, AppleCare will definitely NOT cover accidents. Search the forums for "spilled" and you'll find hundreds of posts on how to deal with it.

5. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

I kicked his ass! haha

6. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

Did you buy it from Best Buy of Apple? Because one of the main reasons that I bought my MBP from Best Buy instead of Apple is because Best Buy's warrantee covers spills(yes, that includes a buddy knocking a beer bottle on your precious MB).

7. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

No I got it at an Apple store. :( I had no idea that best buy and apple have different warrantees..

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No need to call them. The warranty is very explicit in that it does not cover damage via negligence, just defective equipment.

9. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm. Can I just unscrew the bottom and have access to clean underneath? I have the model without the removable battery.

10. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

Well, it depends on if you buy Best Buy's warranty or Apple Care at Best Buy, either way in the future, but really, these days I don't recommend either, I suggest SquareTrade, they cost about 1/2 the cost of Best Buy's warranty and provide better protection as well as faster service. Just my thoughts on it for future reference.

As for what to do, you will probably need to get at least the top case replaced (about $200) and Apple will most likely not cover it, unless you can show that the top case was defective before this happened.

11. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

Well Actually, when I turn on my backlight the T is the most illuminated key. All the rest look dull and not very bright. I noticed this way before this incident happened.

12. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone have any experience with contact cleaner? Would that be safe to spray on the trackpad?

13. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

alcohol..and i don't mean beer

disassemble, clean, let dry for a few hours, re-assemble.