trackpad button issue (early 08 mpb)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tecknical, Jan 22, 2009.

1. tecknical macrumors regular

I noticed something very odd a couple of days ago. The trackpad button on my early 08 mpb makes a double click noise when i press it. i think its loose or something. its hard to explain very well, but when i press it a little bit, not enough to actually click the mouse, it clicks. sometimes its really loud, sometimes its not, but its certainly annoying. does anyone else have this issue, is it just me. also, is it enough to warrant a trip to the apple store

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

almost sounds like you have some dirt or something that got in there, did u try using an air duster to try and clean it out yet?

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Mine did this. I brought it in, and they replaced the top panel under warranty. Now it's starting to do something similar, but instead of an extra click, there is no click.

Is your issue intermittent and affected by humidity? Mine happened on the right side of the button.

4. tecknical thread starter macrumors regular

no its happening along the whole button. it still clicks, but sometime it takes extra pressure to click, and that sound is becoming somewhat of an annoyance.

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I guess it doesn't matter what side. It sounds like my issue. It's not unheard of. It can be just gunk, and I believe there's a way to clean it with a bit of paper, but it can also just be a hardware issue. It's what I hate about Apple laptops.

6. optimus prime macrumors regular

i have the same problem....

bought it in july of 07... a month later, i noticed it.

i still have the problem to this day. it's annoying but i'm used to it now.

7. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had this on several MBPs - a very subtle little pre-click/noise/feeling before the real click? I've managed to solve it by putting a thin strip of paper or electrical tape (electrical tape probably better but won't work everywhere) underneath the trackbutton in the battery compartment, When that hasn't worked, I've inserted a thin strip of paper directly below the button, underneath the metal you see when you open the battery compartment. You need to experiment a little to get it right. If you put too much, the button will barely move at all, and if you put too little the problem won't be fixed. Also, it needs to be across the whole button or less you'll feel that one side is slightly different than the other when you click.

Or, if Apple will replace, let them do that. I had to fight to get mine replaced once and after that I fixed it myself. They told me I was being too sensitive, but I replied that if you work on your computer all the time these things are annoying.

good luck and let us know how it goes...

8. pufftissue macrumors regular

I've developed the same problem. It's like it just happened over night. I've had tons of laptops. Only apple trackpad buttons have had this problem before. Not happy about the quality control b/c my right fan is now 'grinding'.

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I had this same issue in a replacement top case and the one that followed. I think there's a bad batch of top cases floating around. :mad:

Apple replaced mine and the defective replacement. If the guy you talk to doesn't want to replace it, then talk to someone else. It was easier to shame the geniuses into doing something when they were still using the old MBPs at the G-Bar.