Trackpad Click - Not Responsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerc, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jerc macrumors newbie

I've had my macbook pro for almost 2 years. When i first got into DJing i was using the trackpad to click play on Virtual DJ, and i would always press the click on the bottom left corner of the trackpad. Over time the click has been less responsive, for example; I would go to click and drag a file, and it would 'let go' of the file halfway across the screen as if i had took my finger off the trackpad.

It's now gotten to the point where i can't drag anything further than about an inch before it drops the file. I've stuck to using a mouse but this isnt practical for when i'm DJing and want to drag files to certain decks etc.

My mbp isnt under warranty or apple care so if i'm gonna replace the trackpad do you know how much it will cost me, or what i can do?

Thanks

2. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Quick question. By less responsive, do you mean the click still feels the same but it doesn't work like it used to or can you tell that you click doesnt go as far into the machine as it used to.

I only ask because I had a similar issue but my trackpad was physically not depressing that much. At first I thought something got in between it and the frame, but upon further inspection, my battery was swollen putting pressure on te trackpad from bellow.

3. satchow macrumors 6502

To fix this yourself is pretty easy, you need a PH#00, Torx06 and Triwing screwdrivers.

Take off the bottom of your MBP, then use the triwing to remove the battery (3 screws, one is hidden underneath a sticker u can peel up a little to get to).

Then there's a little screw on the bottom/middle of the trackpad you can tighten or loosen to get it to your liking.

Either this, or take it to an Apple Store where they will do it for you. At good stores, they'll do it in 5 minutes while you wait. At bad stores (I'm looking at you Fair Oaks Mall, VA Apple Store), they'll want to keep your computer overnight.