Trackpad Clicking Not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warrior86, Dec 12, 2011.

1. warrior86 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, you probably seen this topic 100 million times. Yes I have researched this, read 10 out of the 20 pages it found in the search, and the main question I have will be at the end that I could not find in the search.

My gf's mid 2009 MBP 13in laptop recently started having issue registering clicks. It was like one out of every 5 or 6 clicks it would work, then nothing at all. So pretty much from a cold boot, clicking does not register. She can still tap and all and move around but no clicks. If she plugs in a USB mouse, everything is fine.

I have taken the laptop apart and removed the battery. I did this because I heard of a battery swell, but when I feel the battery, it doesnt seem like there is a noticeable swell. Regardless, I powered on the laptop without the battery with AC power (so there is no battery hitting the bottom of the trackpad), and still the same outcome.

In one of the posts I found, I read from Codymac, the following:

The click comes entirely from the membrane switch on the trackpad.

If the screw is too tight, it won't click.
    If the screw is too loose/missing, it won't click.
    If the battery is pushing up on the track pad, it won't move down enough to click.

Obviously the 3rd suggestion I've eliminated, and the first two, I am not sure what screw they are talking about here. Unfortunately I dont have her laptop with me, and up until yesterday, we decided if it wasnt the battery, then it was the trackpad. But if I am able to at least adjust something before replacing the entire thing, I will try that but I dont know what button it is! I've read something about a T6 bit but where? Is it the little circle all the way at the bottom in the middle in the following picture??
    [​IMG]

Anyway, if it is, I'll adjust it there. but the MAIN question I have is: The replacement for these come in two different model numbers which are 922-9063 and 922-9525. I've read the first one is discontinued, though they look exactly the same. Was there a fix for this and the 9525 is the updated model, or are they pretty much the same just happen to have different part numbers?

Thanks. I appreciate all the help

2. visim91 macrumors 6502

wa-HOW did you mod your trackpad to look like that thats sick.

3. warrior86 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the bottom of your trackpad that you dont see.

4. visim91 macrumors 6502

Wow. I had no idea you could reverse it.

5. warrior86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but if not, you cannot reverse it. What you see there is when you take apart laptop, and after taking out your battery, that is what shows.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

7. visim91 macrumors 6502

To be honest, I was just bumping the thread.
    I would hope the appearance of the TrackPad's underside is considered common sense.

8. warrior86 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm yea.. maybe the way ifix has it listed, where the mid 2009's are the 9063, mid 2010's are the 9525, and early 2011's are the 9773.

anyone else have an idea?

9. warrior86 thread starter macrumors newbie