TrackPad clicks but no click occurs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philips, Jun 20, 2009.

1. philips macrumors regular

philips

Hi All!

I have early '09 uMBP17 and I'm experiencing one of the issues which apparently plagued first TrackPads: when I press a TrackPad it clicks, yet application doesn't register the mouse click. It happens 50/50. If I press harder/hold pressed a bit longer - it works more often. Still very very annoying.

I have seen that issue with late 2008 MBPs was resolved with trackpad firmware update (and my uMBP17 has the update already).

Has anybody experienced the issue on early 2009 MBPs? MBP17?

Is it known problem? Any advice?

2. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

This just started happening to me last night. I have a late 2008 15" Unibody and out of nowhere the trackpad got all weird. Had any luck getting this resolved?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Close and reopen your laptop after it goes to sleep. If this doesn't fix it, you'll need to go to your Apple store.

4. philips thread starter macrumors regular

philips

I have found same recommendation on Apple forums.

Have no chance to send laptop for repair atm, so as workaround I have activated Tap. Not nice - dragging is horribly unreliable - but better than missing clicks.

5. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I did a time machine full backup because I was hoping it was software related (dumb thinking by me but I was able to prove to myself that Time Machine/Time Capsule is pretty awesome) but that did nothing. Tap to click and all the multitouch gestures work fine but depressing the trackpad to click went from 50/50 to taking 100 depresses to get 1 click to register. So basically in 12 hours it went from working perfectly as it did for 8 months to being almost entirely broken. I am guessing that some cord or cable or sensor was affected as the actual clicking worked it just failed to register.

I called Apple and they said it needed to come back to be repaired (after running me through a quick reboot and a setting restore) so I got the box and dropped it in the mail today. I'm a little bummed that I don't have my macbook pro for a few days but I am more than pleased with their (Apple's) response and turn around on getting the box to me. I'm DEFINITELY getting AppleCare before my 1 yr is up. I'll post again when I get it back and let you know how it works.

6. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

Turn around time was shockingly fast. I didn't have the computer for 2 nights and that's it.

Anyways, it was repaired. It says that they replaced 605-1689 Top Case Backlit. Doesn't make any sense to me but hey.. it works again.