Trackpad disappointment

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mixman, Aug 30, 2011.

1. mixman macrumors member

I've come to the following conclusion, having tried two different 2011 air's at home, that the trackpad on the Macbook Air is less sensitive than in the Macbook Pro or the magic trackpad. Taps do not register as easily. The touch needs to be firmer and more focused.

Does everyone here just get used to the fact and presses harder on the macbook air trackpad?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No, and you can check the sensitivity in the setting option.

3. JR1993 macrumors regular

Recently found that tap to click is a good choice.

4. mixman thread starter macrumors member

@JR1993 Tap-to-click is on
    @aziatiklover What settings would these be? I've found double-click sensitivity settings, is that what you mean?

For me this is most evident when tapping with the side of my right thumb, with the thumb touching the trackpad on the first joint then all the way to the nail. The Air has a hard time registering this. Best detection is when using quick taps with the top of a finger.

The cursor often also jumps, if there's even the slightest movement when tapping the trackpad. I haven't noticed this on previous trackpads, them being more resilient to imperfect taps.

I'll try to get used to this trackpad.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I agree.

I find tap to click better for my usage.

The scrolling and zooming etc on my glass trackpad is flawless.

6. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

Another tap to click user here!

I have to say I've not really noticed any major differences on the MBA trackpad and the Magic Trackpad I also own (and use with the MBA when it's in clamshell mode.)

I never thought I'd get into a trackpad over a mouse but when I don't have the trackpad, I really miss it.

7. dubAdub macrumors member

I prefer the Air's trackpad to the Magic trackpad.

Its horizontal orientation strains my hand less and I find it more sensitive.

I was worried that its position in front of the keyboard would be an added strain but it hasn't proven to be so far.

I also use tap to click but double two fingered tap for "right-hand button" is more difficult.

8. Harlowgold1 macrumors member

I agree and you cannot tap in the corner areas - You have less travel area!

9. trims macrumors regular

Lovin' the trackpad too, but have noticed that scrolling in iPhoto is insanely fast and impossible to adjust. Any suggestions?

10. mixman thread starter macrumors member

Girlfriend quickly tried the Air. She had the same problems; the trackpad didn't react as she's used to on her Pro, unless tapping near dead-center. Taps just did not register consistently. She noted that her 15" 2011 Pro is more reactive overall.

If I don't get used to this wonky behaviour of the trackpad I'll just go Pro myself with the base 13" model to get a quality trackpad.

11. futbalguy macrumors 6502

I have never had a tap not register on my 2011 macbook air 11"

12. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Are you sure your MBA doesn't have a trackpad problem? My 11" Air can tap to click anywhere other than directly in the corners.

Just to clarify - are you talking about tapping or actually physically clicking the trackpad?

For me I only use the physical click when selecting text or dragging an item.

I have both an Air and a 15" pro, they feel different in their physical click, but their sensitivity feels the same.

13. Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

I have a 13" MBP and a 13" MBA and their sensitivity feels the same. There is no dead spaces, or rather it is possible to tap at the exact same places like my MBP, as well as not able to tap at the very furthest end on both of the MB´s.

14. mixman thread starter macrumors member

Could be due how the macbook air is built, being so slim and in a slight incline that it requires you to "approach" the tapping process accordingly.

If I just tap on the air's trackpad, as I would normally (a quick firm tap; touch & release) on a magic trackpad, the cursor will move 1-2cm up... even as the finger never moved anywhere. Clearly this is not the way you can tap this product.

If I use any other finger than the index finder, the tap is prone to a slight imperfection, leading the trackpad to think there's movement involved -- when it's just a tap.

The tap also need to be gentle and made without haste.

Treating the air's trackpad like a fragile woman does seem to get Lion to respond better.

15. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

I always use tap to click. Why use something that could possibly fail mechanically in the future?

16. irontiger82 macrumors member

oh man thanks. I was thinking are my fingers that rough. Changing the sensitivity is key.

17. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I'm long term PC and very new to OS X. I have quickly grown to love tap to click. It's faster than manual clicking and I'm not wearing out the spring under the trackpad.