Trackpad discoloration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlien, Apr 25, 2010.

1. charlien macrumors regular

I just got a new MBP 15". The only wear on my 3 year old black macbook was the trackpad got really shiny. I've noticed that my new trackpad is already showing where my fingers have been touching it. While I assume at this point I can clean it, I'm wondering if there is something I can do to prevent permanent discoloration without affecting the performance of it. Or better yet, is the material of the MBP not subject to permanent discoloration?

2. andrew086 macrumors regular

I had the same problem on my old MacBook but you shouldn't be having problems so soon... are you eating greasy foods before using the trackpad without washing your hands?

You could get an invisibleSHIELD to put on your trackpad, but then you'd have to get the entire thing to cover your computer. Most people don't like to use the trackpad piece anyway as it makes it harder to use.

3. cyclical macrumors regular

Isn't it glass-covered? In which case there shouldn't be any discoloration, at least none that you couldn't clean off...

4. MacBird macrumors 6502

You shouldn't see any signs of use after cleaning it carefully with mild dish soap. My unibody MBP is 1.5 years old and the trackpad is not shiny at all.