Trackpad doesnt really feel like glass

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ll PiStoNs ll, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

I dont really notice a huge difference in the "glass trackpad"
    I mean if i touch the screen on my ipod tocuh then the touchpad its an obvious difference. Its not shiny either... how is it glass then?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its roughed up plexiglass so they can make the whole thing the button

3. bektravels macrumors regular

Yeah, I had a play instore with one yesterday... I kinda didn't notice it to be any different in feel to my PB's trackpad:eek:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Isn't that a good thing? The whole point of the glass sensor is to allow much more sophisticated multi-touch / gestural commands. Why would it really need to "feel" different?

5. hiptobesquare macrumors regular

hiptobesquare

It may be glass, but it is evidently etched for a certain level of tactile feedback. Somehow I doubt they would have mentioned it being glass, if they were actually using plastic. Plexiglass is plastic, not actually silicate glass.

Glass can also be very inflexible, especially if there is a substrate in or under it... they could be, and likely are using glass for the aspect of rigidity, so that the trackpad doesn't get damaged, bent, warped, or otherwise distorted while being used as a button, and it also works with the multi-touch sensory system, a-la iPhone/iPod Touch, which have glass screens.

Glass does not automatically equal glossy, nor transparent, especially if there is a film backing providing the color.

6. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

In a few months or years, I can just see people trying to sell their new Macbooks with descriptions like "trackpad glass shattered", "has slight crack on trackpad", "trackpad glass is broken". :D

7. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I can tell you that it's probably made out of a different type of glass that doesn't shatter. They probably put a coating on it, because you don't actually see glass. We don't know. The thing that makes me think that it's made out of glass is... more advanced multi-touch and a very smooth track pad.