Trackpad Doesn't Seem as Responsive...Should I Call AppleCare? What would they do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Jan 31, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've had my 13inch MBP back in August and for the past few weeks have noticed a change in the behavior of my trackpad. I took my MBP to the Apple store 2 weeks ago simply for them to check if there was any liquid damage on the laptop because I was considering purchasing AppleCare before the 1 year deadline is up this coming August...

..At the Apple Store the employee took it to the back, came back 10 minutes later and said everything was fine, no problems at all.

However since about 2 weeks ago i've noticed my tackpad isn't as responsive when i'm browsing the web, or anything for that matter. Whether i'm actually pressing on the trackpad as a button or am just tapping the trackpad to open a new tab or w/e, it's either not as responsive as it once was or not at all anymore.

Should I call AppleCare and deal with this? What would they do?

I'm wondering if its worth it or not...especially considering that the trackpad still works fully/completely, just not as great as it once was and/or not good at all. I guess my case may be considered a subjective so am wondering if they would even do anything about it...

...of course I doubt this would call for a macbook replacement and since its a unibody my thinking is that they can't just replace the keyboard/trackpad like they did with the old white macbooks...

Edit: Think of it like this; when i press the trackpad to open something (like to close a window or w/e) many times it won't respond and it calls for me to try it again.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No, they can replace the top of the entire bottom, if that makes sense, like with the old macbooks. That would include the keyboard and trackpad.

Bring it in and express your concerns. Make sure you try and show them what the issue is first hand so they can experience it themselves. If it's a legit issue (probably is) they will have no issues replacing the trackpad assembly. If you keep having issues with the people in the store, call up Applecare and have the machine sent down to texas. I find they are a little more thorough down there.

Oh and getting Applecare depends on your usage. If you think you'll keep the machine for longer than a year, get it. Never know what could happen.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

thanks for responding. That's very interesting; I had no idea they could replace that. This time around i'm guessing they'll place it from the inside, removing the keyboard from underneath, inside of the machine, along with the trackpad...right? I'm guessing here. Unlink the old white macbooks having the trackpad and keyboard acting as a plate like cover for that portion.

I'll give this issue a few more days until I can't take it anymore, plus I need my laptop for the next for days for essays due and USC application is due...but i'll def. do what you suggested. Thank you.

4. eyekyu macrumors member

i thought the trackpad in my 06 macbook was becoming unresponsive -- and it was. turns out the battery was swelling and pushing up underneath onto the trackpad causing it to stop working. replacing the battery did the trick, guess you can't do that with a unibody