Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjsneed61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
My cursor is acting really weird. Not sure if my daughter hit some keyboard controls, downloaded a virus, or what, but my cursor drags open little grey boxes whenever I move it on the desktop. I've found if I hit the control key and click I can close the box. If I click on an desktop icon, I can't "unclick" it and I will drag it all over the desktop with me, unless I hit control and click. Then if a window is open, I end up dragging the window all over the place. If I can get the Finder window open and try to click on Applications, or Desktop, or Pictures, that link will drag all over the place. The cursor won't let go of it. If I'm on a webpage - which is a feat in itself just to get it to open because of all these sticky problems and grey boxes opening all over the place, I'll move the cursor down the page, and I end up highligting all the text. That's the basics of the issues, and I've been in the trackpad to try to work it out and in disk utilities, but I don't know what's going on.

Any ideas?

rjsneed61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for posting those links. I had done those things before with my ibooks but had forgotten how, so thanks for those. But, I had downloaded the mac firmware update and that seemed to have done the trick, except for the grey boxes that drag after the cursor on the desktop. I had messed around with the trackpad settings on the system preferences a few times, but I did again. All seems to be good again, for the most part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.