Trackpad error leads to reinstall

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BentTable123, Apr 14, 2016.

1. BentTable123 macrumors member

So I was watching some youtube video on my 2009 late macbook unibody and all of a sudden I couldn't move the mouse cursor much. I kept trying but it hardly moved or didn't move at all. left and right clicking worked. I could control tab to another program and there was no lag on the macbook itself. Finally I got frustrated and plugged in a usb mouse, closed safari and restarted my mac. Instead of the apple logo popping up during bootup, i got a weird symbol, like a do not smoke circle with a cross except without anything like a cigarette behind it. After about 30 seconds, it went to a screen that said install os x. I quit that and chose shutdown. Then i booted up again and after a long bootup, about 60 seconds instead of the normal 20, it got to the regular mac os desktop with the trackpad working okay. Does anyone know what might be going on with my macbook. Is it about to die? The SSD and HDD don't seem to be making any unusual noises and the speed of normal operations seems normal. Thanks.

2. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

open disk utility and check your hard drive for errors.

a difficult trackpad can also be a symptom of an expanded battery, so you should have a look at that as well.

3. BentTable123 thread starter macrumors member

No errors from disk utility, i'm going to open up the screws and check the battery. One interesting tidbit is that from coconut battery logging which I do about every month or two, the battery capacity goes up or down about 1-2% every few months. Today it is down by 7% from the last reading less than a month ago, the highest change I've every had.

4. BentTable123 thread starter macrumors member

Well I opened up my macbook and battery does not look swollen. Hopefully the errors were a one off issue.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

You should check the side of the battery that is next to the trackpad if you haven't. Often times, the side facing you when you take off the bottom cover won't show any swelling.