Trackpad feels "wrong"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DWBurke811, Sep 17, 2011.

1. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

So I don't really know how to describe it, but when I press my trackpad it feels "soft"(for lack of a better word). Like it doesn't "click," it sorta just "thuds" in. I had been using my laptop at my friends house, didn't notice anything, when I just got home and opened it up I instantly said it didn't feel right. I grabbed my girlfriends MBP and her trackpad "clicks" the way I remember mine. It isn't a huge issue, but for some reason it bothers me an insane amount. I can't stand it. I plan to bring it in to Apple, but I'm worried they're going to give me a hard time about my SSD/RAM. I know they're user replacable, but I don't want them to say I messed something up inside; am I better off throwing the OEM gear back in when I go?

2. magamo macrumors 6502

I've taken to Apple Store my MB and MBP with SSDs and RAM swapped a few times and had no problem. They even found a scratch inside around the SATA connector which apparently I made when I clumsily install the SSD. Technically it should've voided my warranty, but they were ok with that and fixed everything free because it wasn't the direct cause of strange behavior I had with my keyboard. YMMV.

It's always advised to take a backup though because they might wipe everything out. I'm not sure if you can get your SSD etc. back if they have to replace them with new ones to fix your problem (which is unlikely though because it's about your trackpad).

3. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok cool thanks. I've always had good experiences at Apple. I'll bring my old HDD and RAM incasse; I've had my HDD go bad, logic board replaced, and now the track pad issue. I'm not expecting a new laptop, but a iX would be nice...haha

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

i think the rule is: 3 strikes and they will replace... so you might be able to convince them to give you a new mbp.

5. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet. I asked my girlfriend to try the two and she thinks I'm crazy, so idk how it'll go over at Apple. Honestly, I just want the trackpad to feel "right," but a i5 with SATA3 ports would be nice(as long as I can still run 10.6.x lol)

6. dsjr2006 macrumors regular

I had a similar issue with my Late '08 Unibody, it turned out that the battery was bulging which didn't allow the trackpad to move normally.