Trackpad for imac? Trackball?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applecultvictim, Jun 12, 2009.

1. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

I am looking for an alternative way of input for my imac, just so as to change the repeated motions I go through everyday and avoid carpal and other ergonomic/health nightmares....

Seeing as how we love our glass trackpads it wouldn't be far fetched now for apple to design a trackpad to include multi-touch too, and make the mouse more of a thing of the past (of course multitouch is going into the next touch enabled mac ;) but that's another story)

So any of you guys have any alternative input methods to suggest, 'd love to hear the experiences of everybody.

2. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

Your idea of a trackball might not be a bad solution, but it is one of those things that you should try before you buy. I had a trackball years ago that put allot of strain on my hand.

I ended up finding a Microsoft trackball design that worked well, it had the ball where the thumb rest on a mouse. They don't make trackballs anymore but a similar design might be good for you.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I haven't tried one, but have you considered a pen/tablet combo for input? Back in the day before we typed everything, I never heard of anyone getting carpal tunnel from writing with a pen.

4. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey thanks so much for the reply, Delta and Tommorow,

Delta thanks for that experience sharing, I will surely have to go trial and error with the trackbal.

Tommorow, yes I ve thought about it and thanks for reminding me! I will give that a go to.

I was more hoping for something apple or non apple that is tailor made for the mac really instead of a make do solution.

A glass trackpad for an imac would have been huge!!! With some extra functionality buttons like cd, expose etc...

Come to think of it anyone know anyone in china we can patent this, make it and sell it?????:D:D:D

5. kurosov macrumors 6502a

The best solution available at the moment is an ipod touch/iphone.

I'd love a trackpad myself though. If only i had room on my desk for one alongside mouse, tablet and keyboard (i guess this 09' mini keyboard has one advantage there).

6. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate on that kurosov?

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Seriously, using an iPhone as an input device for an iMac? How is that the best solution, or even a good one?

8. kurosov macrumors 6502a

The OP mentioned a trackpad. Currently with the wide variety of apps available for the iphone it is the only trackpad-like device that can be used for the iphone. It is the best solution simply because it is the only solution for a trackpad.

9. Moocher macrumors regular

Touch or iPhone

Take a look at the AirMouse Pro application, currently on sale for $1.99.

Full mac function with a Touch or iPhone. Pretty cool. I've got it and it's on my list to learn, but I haven't yet.

Mooch

10. sibrow macrumors newbie

sibrow

Wacom

Personally, I use a Wacom Bamboo Fun Medium tablet, and I never touch my mouse. You can hold a pen in soooo many ways that it is hard to get RSI. It also makes navigation quicker as the top left of the tablet directly corresponds to the top left of your screen. After a while you get used to where everything is and the movement you need to make to get there. But with a mouse or a trackpad it is indirect, there is no definitive location for anything.
    My mum swears by this sideways mouse: http://www.ergopro.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=66&category=4 it feels a little plasticky and crappy to me, but I can see why it would cut down on RSI.
    My mums co-worker swears by thumb trackballs.
    So it is all down to preference, test them out first if you can.

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My Wacom Intuos3 is my favorite way to interact with my Mac. I use the mouse most of the time, but the fact that I can use a pen as input really helps.
    I do wish there was a two finger scroll for non-laptop Macs.

12. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

some great ideas there guys, thanks!\

love that thread with the trackpad added to the keyboard.

would seem really strange how apple is stuck to the mouse when they have done so many wonderful multitouch stuff for their macbooks...

very strange, why would n't they have something out, I am suer a lot of pc users would buy it too, who would want carpal tunnel instead of a nice pad?

maybe they are preparing a touchscreen mac...they surely are but for the time being what?