Trackpad Freezes on Waking rMBP 2015 / El Capitan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newellj, Mar 23, 2017.

1. newellj macrumors 601

Out of the blue, my rMBP trackpad is frozen / unresponsive, both on wake from sleep and on a reboot. OS and software all up to date. Google did not turn up any useful suggestions, yours are welcome and appreciated - thanks!

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

3. newellj thread starter macrumors 601

Nothing connected...did try both, still doing this. Very weird and very annoying.

4. newellj thread starter macrumors 601

So...it's the trackpad that's not responsive. Keyboard works fine, and plugging a USB mouse in works fine. If this was a Windows machine I'd be checking the trackpad driver. ???

5. Sanpete macrumors 68020

If you're in Boston, I'd take it in to the Apple Store for free diagnosis. It could be the simple thing, hardware failure, of course. But they might want to do a clean install of the OS, so you could try that first if you want to try everything before taking it in. You could try booting in safe mode before that, I suppose.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

There's a chance your battery might be expanding and pressing on the trackpad, so you could check your battery status (Power in the system report under About this Mac) to see if it looks normal.

6. newellj thread starter macrumors 601

Update: this is still going on, randomly. Reboots and resets don't fix the problem. Yesterday I was getting crackly audio. I looked at the iFixit teardown and it turns out that the right speaker connector and the trackpad connector are stacked (along with an IO board connector).

This makes me think that the connectors may have a problem. I took the bottom of the case off to check for loose connectors, but they appear to be OK. (The batteries are fine, too, btw.) Nevertheless it looks like a trip to the Apple Store is in my future.

7. newellj thread starter macrumors 601

To close this out - I took the MacBook to the Apple Store last Friday. He diagnosed a major hardware fault, probably a bad logic board, and shipped the computer for service. It was repaired yesterday (Monday) and shipped back to me, arrived this morning. The service invoice indicates a bad cable, rather than a bad logic board. In any case, I'm glad that I had Apple Care on this machine and I probably couldn't have asked for faster service (Friday to Tuesday). The rMBP came back in good shape with no data loss, so all looks good.