Trackpad Gesture for Revealing Barren Desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jason.siegel, Jul 22, 2011.

1. jason.siegel, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

jason.siegel macrumors 6502

Just switched to Lion on a new Air and I'm trying to get used to all the new gestures. Under Snow Leopard, I would regularly drag a file with my thumb and then gesture up with four fingers to reveal a barren desktop, onto which I could drop the file. I can't seem to figure out how to do that, anymore.

By default, the four-fingers-up gesture brings up Mission Control. I can make that a three-fingers-up gesture instead, but then four-fingers-up is unassigned. How do I bring back my old behavior?

Thanks.

2. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

You can't. You can, however, do the 4-finger "expand" gesture to show the desktop. I just tried it while dragging a file on the desktop, and it worked--though not quite as easily as the old method. The trick I found is to really move your pinky finger to the side.

3. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, wow. Thanks for the help, although the new method is pretty unusable for what I was using it for. Hmmmmm.

4. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Better Touch Tools or JiTouch are programs that allow you to customize gestures. Another option is perhaps using hot corners??

I find having the Desktop set up as a hot corner has always worked best for me

5. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, hot corners! I forgot all about that one. Thanks!