Trackpad Gesture Inconsistency

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Simplicated, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

In Lion, if you enable Swiping between pages with TWO fingers, it'll only work with Safari and Preview. But if you change to THREE fingers, it'll work with Finder (along with many other apps, as well).

Can't believe Apple missed this. :eek:

2. HelveticaNeue, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Or if you change it to "Swipe with two or three fingers" you get the best of both worlds. The standard three finger back/forward in Finder, Safari iTunes, Dictionary, etc. As well as the cool two finger sliding animation in Preview and Safari.

My guess is that Apple realized that very few consumers use the three finger back/forward gesture, especially in apps like the Finder. Typical users have enough trouble just trying to understand how a file system works and aren't concerned with learning new gestures for navigation. I know that none of the other Mac users I know in person know how to use 3 finger gestures in SL.

So, Apple decided to make a new the two finger sliding gesture in Preview and Safari, the two places it would be most useful. And by changing it to two fingers they made it much more discoverable to the general install base.

Luckily they left an option for us to change it back to how it was in SL or, like I did, use them both.