Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have recently (very recently) purchased an 11" (refurb) MBA, the 2012 model; for those who are interested in the salient details, (and I have to assume that anyone reading a MBA sub-forum is) the specs are 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, and an i7 core. It is a lovely computer, zippy, blazingly fast, ultra portable, a lovely responsive keyboard, and a very sharp screen.

My one problem is the trackpad. I am of the old generation, the world that grew up on Windows, and the mouse, right and left clicking (which is one of the few functions that I still like on a Windows keyboard) and so on.

Indeed, when I first switched to Mac, I found the lack of a right click a nuisance; I know that there is a Mac short cut (which I have forgotten and which, on my first Mac, a MBP, I had placed on my desktop as a file with relevant differences, to remind myself of what I needed to know when switching to a Mac).

Now, the reason for creating this thread, is that a new problem, - or challenge - on my brand new blazing fast MBA confronts me, and it is this: I miss the space bar (which used to be on my old MBA), and I am having astonishing difficulty working out how to use the trackpad. Trackpad gestures are not 'intuitive' (at least, not to me), and I find myself getting frustrated at how surprisingly difficult formerly familiar tasks seem to have become.

Sigh. Yes, I know that this is 'the future' and that touch screen are seen as the way 'to go' (although I bought a small keyboard for my iPad, as I prefer a proper keyboard for any sort of serious writing). Anyway, a reminder, or suggestions, as to what gestures do what, or how to I achieve formerly familiar outcomes (scrolling down has become a nightmare) would be most gratefully received. Otherwise, perish the thought, I shall be compelled to take a flying leap into the past, and contemplate the purchase of a mouse, a device I have not used (even on Windows machines) for nearly a decade.

My thanks in advance to any and all who take the time and trouble to reply.

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Mac's do right click. You just have to turn it on if its not already on. Look under System Pref's > track pad. It's called Secondary Click. This is where you can see examples of how all the gestures work. And if you want to create your own or modify any of these, just install Better Touch Tool.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 8.38.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 8.38.42 PM.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 87

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
This KB article over att apple gives (in my opinion) a good walkthrough of the multi-touch gestures available.

And as already said, right-click is available, just need to activate it under System Preferences - Trackpad - Point & Click - and enable Secondary Click.

Good Luck :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
To those who have taken the time and trouble to post serious suggestions, my thanks. Information is what I need, not trite one word posts. I know that practice helps, but information precedes any sort of practice.

Actually, I am having difficulty in simply controlling the screen; sometimes, it increases in size unexpectedly (I'd be grateful if someone could remind me of what the trackpad gesture to reduce the screen actually is, as I am constantly finding myself having to retrace my steps which cannot be the right way to go about things).

In any case, thanks. Much appreciated, as everything is taking far longer than it should.

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Everything you need is shown (with video examples) in System Preferences and in the KB article that was linked to. Did you look at those yet?
The track pad is nothing more than an input device like a mouse or a keyboard. You just need to learn how to control it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 10.19.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 10.19.16 PM.png
    236.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 10.20.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-13 at 10.20.47 PM.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.