trackpad gestures are backwards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmiller02, Nov 20, 2010.

1. rmiller02 macrumors newbie

it would seem to me that the three finger swipe backwards and forwards in a browser is backwards. naturally to me, it should be when you swipe left to right it should make the page go back and vice versa forwards. is there a way to reverse the settings or a program that will do this for me? thanks.

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I don't have it installed at the moment, but BetterTouchTool should do what you want.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

BetterTouchTool is what you want. You can map the gestures any way you want them, to which ever keyboard shortcut you want. I never realized it, but I think you're right, the three finger swipes are backwards. I don't know if I would want to change it though, I might be too used to to it and get frustrated lol. :eek:

4. rmiller02 thread starter macrumors newbie

well if you use an iphone or whatever, it would seem natural to swipe like you're moving the page around with your fingers, the way it is, it seems backwards. thanks for the advice, i'll check it out.

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

It seems natural to me when I'm using an iPhone, but it doesn't make sense to me when I am on a computer.

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

When you swipe, or scroll, you're moving the window over the web document. When you scroll down, the document moves upward in the window, or if you swipe right, the document moves left. This is different from, say, Google Maps where you grab and drag the actual window contents.

7. rmiller02 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok maybe not so much the two finger scrolling, but the three finger swipe backwards and fowards feels more natural reversed.

8. rmiller02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, in order for me to reverse the two finger scrolling and three finger swiping, I had to install Better Touch Tool and Smart Scroll.

It is very strange. It seems to mess with my head when I toggle the settings back and forth. Like someone said, the default way is like moving the window over a page, while reverse gestures are like moving what's inside the window. I guess I am used to the default way just from using a Powerbook G4 for so long. But reversing it seems natural when in the state of mind that you are scrolling as if you're using an iPhone. I am sure I could get used to it if I used it long enough, but I just find it weird how both feel natural, but trying to figure out why seems to exhaust my brain.

9. uMBPi728 macrumors member

Good point, but wouldn't the reversed 3-finger swipe be counter to the </> arrow buttons? Intuitively that's an associated (or a visual) cue to the user. These two go hand in hand, and programming-wise it makes sense. Heck, that's how I'd code it. Just saying... :)

10. rmiller02 thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, I'm having a hard time trying figure out what you're saying, but if you're talking about the back and forward buttons, then it may be confusing. I know when you reverse the two finger scroll, the scroll bars are reversed of where you are scrolling which can get confusing.

Basically, if you think like you are swiping like you are pulling and pushing around the page like an iPhone, it all seems very natural. But it can get a bit confusing if you are used to the default way of scrolling.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Just curious..

How do people with fewer fingers operate actions that require more fingers than they actually have? :confused: Is there an over-ride? or Customising functions available?

12. rmiller02 thread starter macrumors newbie

A bit off topic... but ok. I'm sure using two hands would work, but Better Touch Tools allows better customization.