Trackpad Gestures

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xMacMan, Jul 26, 2011.

1. xMacMan, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

xMacMan macrumors newbie

xMacMan

Hi! I have a macbook from early 2008, you know the older white, not unibody kind, and I was wondering if there was a way to use all the gestures you can use on the newer MacBooks on my macbook.

Also is there a way to make my system think i have 2 gb of ram when i only really have 1?

Thanks!

2. BL4zD macrumors 6502

No to both of your questions. You could try and get them working under linux, there's a driver for it floating around on the net.

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

The only gesture you have is two finger scrolling. I received a Magic Mouse as a gift a few months before the Magic Trackpad came out. I would recommend you purchase the latter if you want all the multitouch gestures. I have a late 2007 MacBook and upgraded from 1 GB to 4 GB of memory in March and overall the system runs much smoother. If you don't want to buy a trackpad or upgrade your RAM if you have the cash you could buy a new MacBook Air. :cool:

4. unixperience, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

unixperience macrumors regular

no multi touch gestures under osx with that trackpad besides the scrolling, and the two finger secondary click. and i second the linux thing, it basically jsut treats it as a tablet. I first discovered this when i installed an osx virtual machine on my mac, and it thought my built in trackpad was a tablet, then it clicked!! haha

BUT, if you do get a magic trackpad I highly recommend better touch tool, you don't know the true pleasures of your mac, of the magic trackpad till you get BTT installed

EDIT: as for the ram thing, your computer will do page ins and page outs automatically, and as far as I know... there is no limit to size (in windows its limited by the pagefile size, which you set, or live with the defaults) it just grows dynamically as needed.... its not exactly doubling your ram, but it somewhat allows you to use more than what you have. but for your computer ddr2 ram is pretty cheap for 2 gigs, you can even go nuts and get 4 :)

5. xMacMan thread starter macrumors newbie

xMacMan

thanks for the input. I am most likely going to upgrade my ram.