Trackpad going crazy, MBP 13inch mid-2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jh344, Jul 6, 2012.

1. jh344 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My trackpad on my MBP has been going crazy the past few days. The cursor has been jumping all over the screen randomly, clicking things, right clicking everywhere and it's becoming impossible to use. I've tried a few solutions to no avail - cleaning the trackpad, trying to use my magic mouse instead, even completely wiping the MBP and reinstalling Snow Leopard. I've got all the latest software updates but this still keeps happening.

Anyone experienced this/got any fixes?

Thanks

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

The trackpad needs to be replaced. I see that symptom all the time in my shop.

If you're out of warranty and don't mind repairing it yourself, the part number is 922-9525. Be sure to replace the trackpad and the cable. It's fairly simple if you have 00 philips and a trilobe for the battery. If you don't have a trilobe, you can actually get those screws out with a 00, you just need to press very hard on them and turn, I've done it plenty of times before.

3. Fuzzi macrumors member

yep probably it's broken. You can use the BetterTouchTool "LiveView" (bottom left in the main preferences window) to check it. If you see many random touches although you are not touching the trackpad it needs to be replaced.

4. jh344 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that an app I have to download? I can't seem to see it...

----------

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take it into the Apple Store over the weekend and check if it is still under warranty.

How much am I looking to pay for that part if I do it myself?

5. jh344 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just gave it a go. It looks to be fine, but typically as I'm trying it the trackpad seems ok. I guess I'll just have to try it next time it screws up again!

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

You can find the part for between $40-70 US dollars. Apple owned stores are basically run like a charity and only charge $39 labor and the part is $45 (from Apple) so it's fairly inexpensive to get fixed there if you trust those swap monkeys touching your computer.

You can check the warranty status here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

7. jh344 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, not quite as expensive as I first feared.
    It says mine is out of warranty (it's 20 months old), but there was an EU ruling a few months back saying that Apple's 1 year warranty is invalid over here, because all electronics MUST be sold with a 2 year warranty, so i'll see if I can argue that at the Apple store. (i'm sure they'll say no, but it's worth a try!)

8. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

Bumping here.. I'm having the same problem as OP with an early 2011 13" MBP... can somebody link me to an replacement part on Amazon or wherever I can order? Preferably OEM unless that's not the 'norm' to replace with because of cost or whatever.

Only happens random times.. I'm out of warranty time and I doubt it will act messed up when I take it into Apple to look at.