Trackpad having spasms

yarjarrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
California
I've recently been having some issues with my early '08 MBP. While using the trackpad it sometimes goes real fast, and then doesn't move at all, then moves again real fast, like it's having spasms. It makes it hard to click accurately. And it seems to happen in bursts, maybe every 2 hours. Any help fixing this?

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Turn your computer off and turn it upside down. Take out the battery and you'll see this little orange pad thing. Rub your finger on it, "massage it" a little bit, then put the battery back in and restart the computer.

Sounds crazy, I know. But it just might work.

Comment

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
You could try connecting a mouse and using it for a few hours, see if the same thing happens. If it does, then you know it's something software-based. If it doesn't, then you know it's something physically wrong with the trackpad, which sucks.

In that case, it would probably have to be repaired. Hopefully you've got the extended warranty via AppleCare. :)

Comment

yarjarrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
California
I often use a usb mouse and I never have the problem with that. I guess it's hardware problem then. Too bad I don't have applecare and it's out of 1 year warranty. Nuts.

Comment

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
try to take it to an apple store and ask to clean it..
A friend of mine had problems with his trackpad,and in 30seconds they solved it by cleaning it with compress air..
It was not the same problem but maybe the solution can work too..

Comment

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Turn your computer off and turn it upside down. Take out the battery and you'll see this little orange pad thing. Rub your finger on it, "massage it" a little bit, then put the battery back in and restart the computer.

Sounds crazy, I know. But it just might work.
ha ha ha, how did you come up with that? Why on earth would something like that fix his computer?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.