trackpad help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pjoseph, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Pjoseph macrumors member

my track pad would not register the clicks when it was set with the normal settings.
    I recently changed it to "tap to click" and it works perfect.

just trying to figure out how to fix it to work normally "click"

I know some have said to adjust the trackpad screw, but to me the feel of the trackpad click has not changed so not sure if that is the issue or not.

thanks again

2. session101 macrumors regular

i wouldn't mess with it, if you're lucky you can get a new topcase from the genius bar for free

3. pieterv macrumors newbie

Had this issue recently, and this might sound weird but this actually worked for me:

Temporary fix for me: slam the trackpad (harder than you would usually but not hard enough to break it of course). I'm not responsible for damage to your laptop, blah blah. It did work temporarily every time.

Permanent fix for me: This is where it gets even weirder: Put your laptop on its side (so you have a portrait screen and sideways keyboard) and press the trackpad hard (but again, don't break it, try it first and ramp up the pressure if it doesn't work, don't go too far and break it even further. maybe it won't work for you, it did for me), now put it on its other side and press the trackpad again. now try if your trackpad works.

Another hint that I've read is to press the trackpad and blow into the sides.

These last 2 hints make me assume it has something to do with dirt/dust buildup somewhere around the trackpad.

4. spacedrabbit macrumors member

As you mention, what you suggest sounds like it would work if there is debris physically preventing the little trackpad button (that actually registers a "click") from hitting the trackpad screw.

the apple store can adjust the screw for you for free, but if the trackpad needs to be replaced, it's not terribly expensive.

it's a button, it'll wear out over time.