Trackpad in Bootcamp with XP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmbecks7, Feb 25, 2009.

1. mmbecks7 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've had my new mbp 17" unibody for just over 2 days and I love this machine :)

I installed bootcamp/XP SP3 and am having problems with the trackpad sensitivity in XP. When I enable tap to click, the mouse becomes so sensitive that it's unusable, so I have disabled it at the moment but I would rather have the tap to click functionality. Anyone else noticed this issue on their new mbp?

Thanks!

2. boogieman macrumors regular

Same problem as u only with a 15 unibody.

3. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

lets face it, XP just isnt designed for TRACKPAD, if its reallly a issue, buy a mouse.

at this moment of time, there is no fix for this. hope your enjoying your MBP!

:)

4. grodgers macrumors member

Did you visit the Apple downloads page and download all of the utilities for Windows? I know there are some trackpad drivers you will need there.

Try This:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Multi_Touch_Trackpad_Update_for_Windows_XP___Vista

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They come with bootcamp :rolleyes:

He has a point though, people dont update their bootcamp drivers often enough and then complain their computer crashes while crashing etc in Windows.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you put a protector film over the trackpad, it may help. Also when you click make sure only 1 finger on the trackpad; don't even have other fingers hovering over it.

7. jon31rm macrumors member

Trackpad in boot camp just sucks. It's as simple as that, and Apple doesn't seem too concerned about it. There are bugs that crash the system, over-sensitivity issues, and the tap-to-click just doesn't work like it does in OS X.

Every time I've called Apple asking about the obvious issues people are having with the trackpad in boot camp, they are unapologetic and act as if it's Window's fault.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It is Windows fault....

Windows are the ones who make the drivers to make sure the hardware works with their operating system.

9. mmbecks7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! At least I know I'm not the only one with this issue. I might get a wireless mouse if that's the case or just leave the tap to click disabled... It's a shame though that Apple didn't fix this issue.

I used the mac os cd to install the drivers after I installed windows, I will check the above link to see if it helps...

10. xster macrumors newbie

Same problem on a 13" unibody. Even as I move my finger on the trackpad, as I take my finger OFF from the trackpad at the end of the motion, it detects it as a tap. It also thinks palm touches while typing as taps.

11. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Let's face it, Apple can't be bothered to fix their drivers for Windows even though they advertise running Windows with Boot Camp as a feature of buying Leopard.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually Windows doesn't make anything. I don't see OS X making me cake or pie. The only thing Microsoft makes that you buy that comes with Windows is the OS itself. Same thing with Apple; Apple doesn't make the drivers. Hell, half the time, Apple drivers are POS.

I think your response is really bias… and if anything, Apple should be providing the drivers for the trackpad. Every PC manufacturer provides their own Windows drivers for their end-users and so should Apple if they are to allow people to install Windows.

13. vm7118 macrumors regular

wrong. apple makes the drivers for their own trackpad, just like any other hardware manufacturer (video cards, sound cards, usb peripherals) makes THEIR own drivers.

the only thing "windows" did was to be an OS that accepts 99% of the hardware manufactured in the world. OS X doesn't. so windows is in fact FAR more flexible, but apple simply chooses not to take advantage of that flexibility and put out some good drivers.

14. Tlon macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem (13" unibody) and it's driving me nuts. I love the Macbook form, but the lack of dedicated buttons makes using touch to click that much more important.

It seems like there must be a setting somewhere in the registry that could be adjusted, but I'm not familiar enough with editing it to figure that out.

BTW, for people who blame Windows, every single Windows laptop out there (except this one) includes touchpad drivers that allow you to use multitouch (e.g., two-finger scrolling), adjust the sensitivity, and set it so accidental palm touches do not move the mouse. The fact that Apple chooses not to make it's drivers usable just indicates that they are not serious about helping folks run Windows on their computers.

15. evilspoons macrumors member

There isn't necessarily a registry setting - the driver would have to have adjustability coded in. Based on the fact that they don't seem to give a crap about touchpad drivers in Windows, it's unlikely they've written this support into the driver (otherwise why not just go one step further and give a user interface to adjust it?)

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It is an annoyance but I'm rarely in Windows anyway and if I am, I'm probably doing something intensive that a mouse would be better suited than the trackpad. Maybe one day Apple will decide to compile drivers to make it the all around portable but don't hold your breath.