Trackpad in BTO only?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jux69, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Jux69 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

If I go purchase a stock 27 inch iMac at the Apple Store can I choose the trackpad instead of the magic mouse, or is the trackpad only a BTO option?

Thanks

2. SawceBaws macrumors member

I think it's BTO only...you could buy a stock and then buy a trackpad as well...

3. joudbren macrumors regular

They swapped it for me in the store a couple of weeks ago when I bought a new i7 27". They just opened the box, removed the mouse, credited the price of the mouse back to a gift card and then used the gift card to purchase the trackpad. They had an empty case already to put the mouse in as well so I was under the impression they do this a lot. Probably will happen even more now with Lion.

The process seemed a little convoluted but apparently that's the only way they could make it work to keep track of the serial numbers. Bottom line, I was able to get a trackpad with my new in store order. Cheers!

James

4. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Was under the impression that the stores did not carry the i7. You managed to grab one in-store?

5. SawceBaws macrumors member

Exactly

[​IMG]

6. joudbren macrumors regular

Most of the stores do stock the base model i7 now and have for some time. I think they changed that over a year ago based on the demand they were seeing in the stores for the i7. Just call your local store to confirm but I'm willing to bet they stock it. I know for sure our two local stores do. And as mentioned, they were willing to swap peripherals as well. Cheers!

James

7. SawceBaws macrumors member

Not true, I remember checking with 5 different Apple stores a few weeks ago, and non of them stocked it...

8. Jux69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would the guy lie? LOL

9. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Just called my local (also Canadian) store and they in fact do carry the 27" i7. Surprised myself.

10. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I bought a 27" i7 from the Boulder Colorado Apple Store in June. At the time of purchase, I asked if I could swap the Magic Mouse for the Trackpad and I was told yes. The woman helping me went to the shelf and picked up a trackpad and handed it to me. When the iMac came out from the back, she said that I could keep the Magic Mouse and the Trackpad was free. That was very cool. On my receipt, the track pad was listed for $69, but there was also a "$ off Customer Service" listed for ... $69. Based on what I have seen, this is a hit or miss thing. I had just seen the demo for Lion at the time and thought that picking up the trackpad would be a good thing. So far, I use the trackpad exclusively on my iMac and the Magic Mouse is connected to my MBP.

11. claimed4all, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

claimed4all macrumors 6502

If you ask them at the store they will more than likely just give it to you.

I bought my iMac a few months ago from the Grand Rapids MI store and I asked if they could swap the keyboard for the 10-key wired keyboard and he said they could do that. When I was was finished checking out they gave me a 10-key free of charge and told me to keep the wireless keyboard.

**Edit
    I bought the base 21.5"

12. schlippy macrumors newbie

Seems like people only get lucky getting the trackpad for free when they get the 27" inch. I wish I had remembered to ask about switching out for a trackpad when I bought my iMac last week.

13. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

14. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I can confirm that this was absolutely no issue, no question when I picked up my 27" i7 in-store last night. And yes, they also stock that model as well.

They swapped the mouse out. Didn't get to keep both.