Trackpad Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by optimusyork, Nov 30, 2011.

1. optimusyork macrumors newbie

Hello there. I bought my MacBook Pro 13" base model today, and I think it's a fine piece of equipment. However, I'm not sure whether I have an issue with the trackpad. Apple claims the whole pad is a button, but I have great difficult pressing the top third of the pad down. It's possible, but I have to press extremely hard.

Secondly, my track pad isn't flush. It's not too bad at the sides, but the top seems to be more dipped in, and my finger can hit the top; where the casing starts.

Thirdly, and finally, I've noticed that the very bottom of my pad doesn't recognise my touch. Now I'm talking the very bottom. If I put my finger against the bezel and stroke the very bottom of the pad, the cursor doesn't move. If I move it slightly up towards the middle, then the pad recognises my touch.

I don't know whether I'm being too overly critical about this. If these things I've mentioned are standard, then that would be fine with me. If it's just my laptop, then I won't be particularly happy at all.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's a hinge at the top and the click button is located at the bottom of the trackpad. That's why the top doesn't really click.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Your trackpad is fine. Every MBP trackpad is like this.

4. optimusyork, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

optimusyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick reply.

I wish Apple had mentioned this before I attempted to click up there. Could pressing with such force have weakened the hinge?

How about the other issues I'm mentioning though?

[​IMG]

Regarding the part that doesn't appear to be recognising my touch is the part highlighted in red. *this isn't a picture of my trackpad.

And the very top of the trackpad seems to be slightly recessed, so if I move my finger to the very top, I hit the casing, as that protrudes slightly above the trackpad.

5. hotgrease macrumors regular

my trackpad doesn't respond to the touch in that area either. i hadn't noticed it before, so i guess i never use that area anyway. of course now i will obsess over it.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I just checked it on my macbook air:
    -the bottom area is not responsive
    -depending one what side you just clicked on, the opposite would not sit flush
    -the top portion is difficult to press

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

That is perfectly normal.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

When I said it's fine, I was referring to all the issues!
    My MBP trackpad is exactly the same... not flush on top end, not sensitive in the red area. I think the latter is a feature, so you can click without moving the mouse.

Note that when you press the trackpad down, all sides are dipped in by the same amount.

9. hotgrease macrumors regular

Not the top side

10. optimusyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so the very bottom is less sensitive, or isn't at all. One or the other. And the pad is supposed to dip in at the top, and the click is difficult at the top. These are all normal?

And me forcing down on the pad at the top near the hinge... could have have damaged or weakened the hinge at all?

Thanks.

11. optimusyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi.

Sorry for the bump, just didn't want to get this buried. This is the last thing, reiterating my last post. Could pressing the trackpad at the hinge once or twice, weakened, or even damaged the trackpad/hinge?

Thank you.

12. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Does your trackpad work? If so, don't worry about it. Problem solved.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, if you press it hard enough, you can damage it. Most likely you didn't do any damage however.

14. optimusyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yes, but I'm concerned about weakening it, and the long term effects...

... or has pretty much everyone attempted what I did at sometime?

15. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

What do you want? Someone to predict the future for you?

If it works now, then you have nothing to worry about. If it breaks down later, take it in and get it fixed. What else is there to say? This is not a warranty issue because you were the one who caused the damage.

16. optimusyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. I'm just a bit OCD about it at the moment. Since I only bought it YESTERDAY, I didn't want to have damaged it already.

17. IllIllIll, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Understandable. If you damaged it, then all you can do is take your MBP in and get it repaired. It's not that big of a deal. If you really want peace of mind then bring it to your local Apple Store and have them check it out.

18. optimusyork thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it seems fine. As I said, I only did it once or twice when I was first adjusting to the trackpad, and after researching on this board it seems that a lot of users have done the exact same thing... and as far as I can tell, nobody has reported a trackpad snapping, or the trackpad hinge being broken, simply from pressing the button... so I guess am just being a bit too sensitive since it's brand new.

I don't have AppleCare (can't afford it after paying for the MacBook), so I'm curious if I did have a problem with it, how much would it cost? As it stands though, it seems fine.

Sorry about sounding so finicky.

19. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

This has nothing to do with AppleCare or the 1 year warranty that you currently have. Warranties don't cover damage caused by the owner, so if you have to get it repaired in the future you WILL pay for it.

If you want to find out how much it'll cost to replace the trackpad, give your local store a call and ask.

20. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You have up to a year from the purchase date to buy Apple Care, so as long as you get it by the end of November next year, you'll be covered for an additional two years. Your computer comes with a one year warranty regardless, so if you have any actual trackpad issues before the first year is up, even if you don't buy Apple Care, they'll be covered.