Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
so i have a 13" 2012 Unibody MBP, and it's finally reached it's useful end on macOS, Ventura running OCLP on this thing is full of issues.

i installed Linux to remedy this, but i've ran into a problem. the trackpad randomly freezes. i can move the mouse around for 2 or 3 seconds and then the cursor stops, and i have to lift my finger off the trackpad and start over to continue moving the cursor.

this is obviously really annoying, particularly when trying to scroll.

i have a 2011 15" running Linux with no issues, i thought the 2012 and 2011 use the same trackpad so this is very odd. the trackpad works fine on macOS so i don't think it's faulty.

is there a fix for this?

i've been using linux for around a decade, i'm very comfortable in the terminal and editing config files and stuff, just need some guidance on what to do.

Reactions: Lgga74

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
Which distro did you use? Some problems are specific to one distro or a similar group of distros, so you can always test if you see the problem in the following systems.

1. Mageia
2. GhostBSD
3. Mint
4. Void Linux
5. MX Linux
6. Devuan
7. Artix Linux
8. Nobara Project
9. NixOS
10. Clear Linux

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
Which distro did you use? Some problems are specific to one distro or a similar group of distros, so you can always test if you see the problem in the following systems.

1. Mageia
2. GhostBSD
3. Mint
4. Void Linux
5. MX Linux
6. Devuan
7. Artix Linux
8. Nobara Project
9. NixOS
10. Clear Linux
i've tried Fedora, Manjaro, EndeavourOS, Ubuntu...

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
i've tried Fedora, Manjaro, EndeavourOS, Ubuntu...
You can give GhostBSD a try. It's a BSD system so it might use different drivers for the trackpad.

And one last thing I would recommend is to give Debian a try. Debian has an older kernel version than all the systems you've already tested, maybe the driver is less buggy there.

If none of the above tips help, you can of course use a mouse instead of the trackpad.

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands
You can give GhostBSD a try. It's a BSD system so it might use different drivers for the trackpad.

And one last thing I would recommend is to give Debian a try. Debian has an older kernel version than all the systems you've already tested, maybe the driver is less buggy there.

If none of the above tips help, you can of course use a mouse instead of the trackpad.
this issue has been happening for years, literally 4 years... so i doubt an older kernel will fix it.

Yael-S.

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
this issue has been happening for years, literally 4 years... so i doubt an older kernel will fix it.
Did you install xf86-input-synaptics or xf86-input-mtrack or the equivalent package?
If so, you don't need to test Debian in that case.

I would still recommend testing BSD systems though:

And if none of these options work, you can bring a regular mouse to solve the problem.

Apple products don't always have the best support for Linux/BSD systems, as Apple doesn't cooperate and also resists by keeping their hardware secret. There are currently enough laptop manufacturers that specifically focus on Linux or manufacturers such as Dell that offer laptops with good Linux support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.