Trackpad Left Click Stuck

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kieffer87, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Kieffer87 macrumors newbie

I've got a late 2010 unibody MBP 15", it has worked flawlessly until just recently the 9,O,and L keys stopped working. Nothing liquid has ever been spilled on it just seemed like a fluke thing. So I purchased a new keyboard and backlight and replaced it. The keyboard works fine but now the trackpad tap left click is stuck down. The track pad physicaly clicks just fine, but if I move the cursor with the trackpad it begins selecting things as though I have the left mouse button held down...I have to restart to "unstick" the left click.

I have tried a USB mouse and this works as it should UNTIL I touch the trackpad at all, then this does the same thing until I restart. Right click continues to work as does 2 finger scrolling and any other gestures.

I have tried enabling the mouse keys accessibility feature and this allows me to click just fine even if the trackpad and USB mouse are not left clicking.

I'm stumped, I've hooked up the old keyboard thinking that was the issue, same thing. No software updates available. I've reset PRAM and SMC numerous times. Bluetooth is off and I have never had a bluetooth device synced. I've created a new account, same thing. In fact the issue occurs even at the login screen. I've tried without the battery in, same thing.

I just can't imagine unhooking the track pad from the logic board to replace the keyboard would cause this, anyone have any suggestions? I've also noticed the fans seem to be running at full speed constantly as well.

2. Kieffer87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Have a new track pad on order, hopefully that fixes the issue although I have my doubts.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

if the fans have started spinning full speed maybe you have disconnected a sensor by mistake, do check that. Regarding the trackpad maybe the installation was not done properly have you tried re-installing the trackpad? Do an apple hardware test altogether it should give some error code if any hardware related issues.

4. Kieffer87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will double check the sensors in regard to the fans. I had not removed the trackpad, only disconnected it from the logic board to replace the keyboard which is what really baffles me about this whole situation.

I will also run the hardware test and report back.

5. Kieffer87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tore it all back apart and discovered the track pad ribbon cable had a small tear in it. Replaced that and everything is back to normal.

I'm assuming if a hardware fault is detected the fans must default to max.