Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Politis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
TAPPING NOISE>
The trackpad of our Macbooks are covered with a thin layer of smooth glass. What we see is in fact the metalic surface beneath the transparent glass surface. When we just touch the surface without putting any pressure, it usually makes no noise. The click noise comes only when we press down.
My problem is that when I simply touch the surface around the bottom left hand side of my trackpad, it makes a small 'tap' sound as if the very thin glass surface is tapping onto the metallix surface beneath.
Any ideas what this is and how to fix it? It's irritating the buzzards out of my nerves! :(

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
TAPPING NOISE>
The trackpad of our Macbooks are covered with a thin layer of smooth glass. What we see is in fact the metalic surface beneath the transparent glass surface. When we just touch the surface without putting any pressure, it usually makes no noise. The click noise comes only when we press down.
My problem is that when I simply touch the surface around the bottom left hand side of my trackpad, it makes a small 'tap' sound as if the very thin glass surface is tapping onto the metallix surface beneath.
Any ideas what this is and how to fix it? It's irritating the buzzards out of my nerves! :(

its fine

----------

Spencer Reynen

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
I have this same exact issue w/ my early 2011 MBP. I can't seem to remember if it just started today or not, as sometimes I use a Magic Mouse. I have to agree that it is VERY irritating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Disassemble the MBP, carefully take out the trackpad, heat it up with a heat gun, separate the glass from the metal surface, put new glue there, let rest for 48 hours, assemble the MBP, problem solved! (note: Sarcasm!!!)

Or, since at least spencer reyen's machine is still under warranty, bring it to apple and have them fix it. It's not like there's a secret terminal command that you can type in to make the noise vanish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.