Trackpad loses click functionality and requires reboot (Early-2015 MBP with Retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJLanglois, Sep 10, 2015.

1. DJLanglois macrumors member

I've been having this problem once or twice per day for the last few weeks. Basically, I'll suddenly find that although the trackpad is still allowing me to move the cursor around the screen, the clicking is no longer working. The haptic feedback click 'feeling' is still being produced, but clicking does nothing. So, in other words, I can impotently move my cursor around the screen, but I can't interact with anything on the screen.

As this is happening, the keyboard is still mostly working, though I have noticed that some hotkeys aren't working. For example, command-space won't bring up Spotlight. But most keyboard functionality remains even after the clicking has stopped working.

In most cases, I am finding that forcequitting programs and relaunching the Finder is not making any difference. On one occasion, however, after quitting most programs and waiting a long period of time, the glitch seemed to suddenly un-glitch and I regained the ability to interact/click.

In every case, doing a full system reboot clears the problem. Then, either hours or days later, it'll happen again.

Anyone else have any experience with this? I've searched the forums and can't find anyone else with the problem.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I have a brand new MBPr 15" and over the past 2 weeks the trackpad seems to "go to sleep" or just be randomly unresponsive.

It happens a lot after the Mac wakes from sleep, but will also just randomly happen.

For me: the tracking doesn't work, but all I have to do is simply click the trackpad and it "turns on again". I've also noticed that the double click on the trackpad sometimes ins't there. Maybe it is stuck down? If I click hard or around the four corners it seems to eventually re-align itself, but I'm wondering if that is causing the unrespnsiveness.

I don't know... like I said it's basically brand new and under warranty, so it is sounding like a genius bar appt is in my future but I'm wondering if others had their own fix for it.

3. DJLanglois thread starter macrumors member

Bump. (Hope it's not against the TOS to bump.)

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

FYI, it is against Forum rules. Here is a link to them: https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201265337-Forum-Rules
    Quote from rules:
    "Minor Problems
    7. Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted."

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm guessing you gave a hardware problem, like the poster who already replied said. You have a warranty, use it!

6. dsmedic10 macrumors member

I'd take it back its brand new you have a warranty. It's also possible that Apple has a few hardware tweaks that need to be address, probably with another software update.