Trackpad Magic - for anyone with a multi-touch trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by finder39, Jan 28, 2011.

1. finder39, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

finder39 macrumors member

Hi everyone! This is my latest app, Trackpad Magic, for the Mac. It is very unique as it eliminates the mouse and uses the direct touches from the multi-touch trackpad in a 1-to-1 ratio to the computer screen to get direct and very intuitive control. It is art both visually and musically, using scales that you play based on touch. Of course, you can alway mute it to just enjoy the show.

I hope you guys enjoy this very unique app!

[​IMG]
    Name: Trackpad Magic
    Price: $1.99 (on sale for $0.99 for first week, January 26th - February 2nd)
    Itunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/id413888062?mt=12

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utd644IKjA4

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Information:
    IMPORTANT NOTE: You need a Multi-Touch trackpad for this app to work. All unibody MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, and MacBook Air's have this build it. It is the one without the button. You can also use Apple's Magic Trackpad with this application.

This is a never-been-done-before application that eliminates the mouse, and brings direct fun to the screen of your mac by the touches on your trackpad. All touches correlate directly to moving particles on your screen, and are independent of each other.

Not only that, but with sound based on where you touch. With 4 instruments included, you can make music your way and enjoy the show at the same time!

To parents: imagine the entertainment this can bring kids! With all of the cool effects and the direct interaction into the app, they will be hooked instantly and will stay entertained for hours!

Features:
    - Direct control via the trackpad!
    - 10 different particles.
    - Fully intractable environment.
    - 4 Different instruments that activate based on where you touch. Make music your way!
    ---- Piano
    ---- Marimba
    ---- Bleepy Machine
    ---- Drum Kit
    - Different musical scales
    - Ability to mute the sounds and just enjoy the show
    - Fullscreen capabilities

2. simsaladimbamba

As you seem to not provide a demo or trial version of your software, why not at least make a video about its capabilities, as screenshots don't really show us what it can do and screenshots don't really provide sound.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I just downloaded it and it's really a neat app. I figure it would be a great selling point app to show off the OS/X and the Magic Trackpad. It'd be fun for kids too.

Good job!

4. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

@simsaladimbamba: I plan on creating at least one video tomorrow, worry not

@SandboxGeneral: Thank you so much, I'm really glad you enjoy it. I haven't had a single person saying they haven't yet which of course makes me feel amazing about how well it is being received.

Version 1.1 is almost done, will be done today or tomorrow and submitted to apple for review. New features in 1.1 are:
    -at least 1 new instrument
    -at least 2 new scales
    -at least 2 new particles
    -a button to toggle an image that shows the location of the keys for each scale to help with playing real songs (which is very possible with this app!)
    -and more!!

5. brendu macrumors 68020

I just downloaded this app and its really fun. Well worth the 99 cents. Since I am still using an iTunes gift card it was really an easy decision. Very fun to play with. As a drummer im really into the drum kit. Good job developing this one.

6. simsaladimbamba

I tried it too, and it is a fun little app.
    Despite that, I would like an option to hold the tone while my finger is still touching the pad. Maybe it would also be nice, if it would make a sound while dragging the finger(s).
    And I don't know if you ever plan to do it, as there are options to do it other ways, but will you incorporate some kind of recording feature (video / audio)?

Btw, I like that different positions (upper left and upper right for example and upper left and bottom left) generate different tones.

Keep up the good work and hope to see more of it.

7. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

@brendu: Thanks for the purchase and I'm glad your enjoying. I'm playing with the possibility of a second drum sound board as well.

@simsaladimbamba: Than you as well :) I am working on all of those features. Of which, the dragging is most likely and the closest to be finished. I have worked on recording video (location or particles and playback so you can add more and play with what you recorded) and still working on a way to do it visually and fluidly. Audio I am starting to work on as well. aLong with possibility of holding down for some instruments.

8. finder39, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

finder39 thread starter macrumors member

GREAT NEWS!!!

Apple just featured Trackpad Magic in Staff Favorites!!

[​IMG]

ALSO!! Version 1.1 just got approved! With many new enhancements to the app:

- New instrument
    ---- Acoustic Guitar
    - 2 New Scales
    ---- Hungarian Major
    ---- Hirajoshi (Japanese)
    - 2 New Particles
    ---- Blue Fireworks
    ---- Sun Star
    - New Control 'T' to toggle an image that shows what each location is note wise for each scale. This should make it a lot easier to play songs! Of course the drum kit has it's own image that is scale independent.
    - Performance enhancements for when app is used for long periods of time

9. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

Version 1.2 has been released!!!!

Trackpad Magic is still doing amazingly well and was featured by Apple in the Staff Favorites last week. I have gotten some amazing emails and reviews. Everything from a video of 3 year old twins enjoying it in Japan to a review of someone using it to work with people with disabilities in the UK.

Here's what's new :
    --------------------------
    - Sounds play for moved fingers! (The most asked for feature!)
    - New instrument
    ---- Caribbean Metal Drum
    - Fixes
    ---- The correct key is now shown to change to the previous scale. It is the 'O' button. I'm sorry about that.
    ---- Name correction for the Japanese scale. Is now as it should be: Hirajoshi.
    - Fix where random particle mode will now use the new particles

I also just posted a video in the first post, here it is again:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utd644IKjA4

10. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Some feedback for you:
    1. Can you fix the quality of the text? Something about the font, or how jagged it is in full screen does not look very professional. I don't mean to insult or criticize you, I'm just trying to let you know that improving the aesthetics of the help text will make for a more attractive application.

2. There is a bug I encountered that returning from full screen makes your cursor disappear until you exit the application. You have to invoke drawing mode in full screen, go to windowed, then escape out of drawing mode.

It's a very fun application. Good job!

11. finder39 thread starter macrumors member

thank you for he constructive feedback. I will look into those for coming updates :)