Trackpad malfunction

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by run4fun22, Jul 31, 2013.

1. run4fun22 macrumors newbie

My trackpad recently stopped working, when I took it to the genius bar they said the water sensor inside was on, I cannot remeber water coming in contact with my computer. I can install a new trackpad for $90, but its about $230 for a new topcase. They are reccomending a new topcase to prevent further water damage, but I have had no problems with my keyboard or anything. Is is worth it to install a new topcase?

My computer is about 4 years old, I need to replace the battery as well, should I look at getting a newer computer or keep sticking money into my current one? I am also in need of a new battery.

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

A couple hundred bucks into a 4 year old MBP is most likely worth it. The resale value for a fully working machine will be at least double that should you decide to upgrade.

3. run4fun22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think I should just replace the trackpad, or replace the whole topcase as well, I have not noticed any problems with my keyboard or anything, but I don't know how likely issues would be in the future

4. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I would just go for a new one.

its too much money on an old machine