Trackpad, mouse or both?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macways, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Macways macrumors newbie

How many people here use a trackpad over a mouse? Or do u use both? I'm going to be getting a trackpad and I'm just wondering did it end up replacing your mouse? Or did u use both?

Many thanks

2. specialk0449 macrumors member

I use both on my iMac but prefer the trackpad.

3. Macways thread starter macrumors newbie

4. specialk0449 macrumors member

It works just as fast as the mouse for me. I like using the all of the gestures that Lion OS has built in. I use my laptop MBP and MBA often and never hook up the magic mouse to either one. Basically I am a trackpad user almost 100% of the time.

On the other hand my wife tried the trackpad for a short period of time on her iMac but she decided the magic mouse was best for her.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Same here. I really wanted to like the MT, but I prefer the MM. My wrist got all cramped when I used the MT.

6. Macways thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback guys, that was my main concern about the trackpad the wrist cramps!! I'll give it a go, the gestures look awesome in Lion.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

I was pretty surprised by the cramping. I never experienced wrist cramping with any laptop I've ever used, and until I got my Mini last month, I've been using laptops (iBooks, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros) exclusively for over 10 years.

I'm guessing wrist cramping occurred because a laptop trackpad is centered below the keyboard, and I would put the MT off to the side. I found it too big to position below the keyboard.

8. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I've really grown to love the Magic Trackpad, which is strange because I've never been a fan of trackpas but when I don't have access to it, I really miss it. I used to worry about wrist cramps etc. but I can't say that I've had any problems, really.

There are now only two circumstances where I use a mouse, when I'm in Photoshop or playing Minecraft. :)

9. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

This week I purchased an 11" MBA for my wife with a Magic Mouse because she is too stubborn to change her input style. She loves it!

I bought also a Mac Mini for a HTPC with a BT keyboard and Magic Trackpad. I've used both now to play, and I like the Trackpad better.

Observations about both are: MM won't track on glossy white lapdesk, despite being laser. Trackpad won't click if on a soft surface like a couch.

10. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

yeah, my only complaint about the magic trackpad is that they made the feet click...not the actual glass touchpad..so on a soft surface it will not click.
    also, if you are too high on the trackpad you can't click either..due to leverage.

11. Dsync macrumors member

I use a Logitech MX Revolution with my right hand, and a Magic Trackpad with my left hand. (Bluetooth keyboard in the middle)

I am a designer. Constant Photoshop, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, etc. I use the mouse for most everything and then I use the trackpad exclusively for gestures. I find it extremely helpful in Photoshop. Whenever I need to zoom in, I don't have to go grab the magnifier and then the hand to move around in the zoomed project. I just use pinch gestures and two finger scrolling on the trackpad!

For me, it's the best of both worlds. I don't get hand cramps because the MX revolution is so comfortable and my other hand doesn't have to hover over the trackpad like it would if it was my main mouse. Instead, it only goes over the trackpad when I need to zoom or scroll.

12. specialk0449 macrumors member

Just enable tap to click in system preferences and your problem is fixed.

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Ih ave a MBP with no accessories; at times, I can see how easy and convenient it would be to have a mouse or something; I got a good bit of money back from the uni so I'm definitely thinking about ordering a Magic mouse or something for browsing while at my desk.

I just ordered a Mini display to VGA cable so getting a bluetooth mouse would be great as well. And a new bag... hmm... Oh; some more RAM would be nice too...

14. sbbluewater macrumors member

I use the trackpad and like it quite a bit. The gestures are great for Lion. As it is larger than the one on the MBP it is also very easy to use.

15. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I use the trackpad some, and the mouse some, since the trackpad is a tad slower for me to do what I want, and the mouse just seems to be a tad faster for me. Perhaps later, the trackpad may be used more than the mouse, but for now, I hooked up both. :eek: :)

16. skyton macrumors 6502

I use both on my desktop.
    I have found some interference issues with the trackpad, so without those I may use the trackpad a bit more, but I always like having the mouse as well

17. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Purchased a MT yesterday. I must say it is a joy to use. The gestures makes it a +1 over using any mouse.

18. SangYuP macrumors newbie

I love the trackpad also. I chose it over the magic mouse and I don't regret it one bit! Gestures with Lion is awesome. I used to think that the trackpad on my mbp was big but now I wish it was bigger like the magic trackpad!:D

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

20. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Yup.

One thing I like about the bluetooth Magic Trackpad (as opposed to the one built into a MBA or MBP) is that you can angle it so that you aren't straining your wrist. I use gestures a lot because I love how they've sped up my productivity and done away with needless point and clicks. Even with BetterTouchTool, there's more gestures for the trackpad AND it also feels more comfortable to use to me.

Anyway, to answer your original question, I use both, but only because I have a MBP. In my unique situation, my desk is REALLY high, but I like to set my desk chair really low (I ain't so tall, and I like my feet to be flat on the ground). It's kind of uncomfortable to use MBP's keyboard/trackpad because they're so high up, so I use my wired keyboard and Magic Mouse on the keyboard tray. If I had a lower desk, though, I'd stick to my trackpad.

21. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Not to dig up old posts, but how exactly are you doing this? I've yet to find an angle that doesn't strain my wrist. MT seems a little unnatural compared to the trackpad built into a laptop for some reason.