Trackpad Not Functioning Properly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zachhwilliams, Nov 8, 2010.

1. zachhwilliams macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 13" MacBook 2.4ghz Aluminium Unibody and the trackpad isn't functioning properly.

I can't highlight text, and the click is tempremental, the right click also doesn't work (yes, I've been into Trackpad System Pref. and it's fine in there)

This issue is really annoying, and help is greatly appreciated!

Zach

2. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

It could be damaged. You might want to take it to an apple store to get looked at

3. happle macrumors 6502a

when i first got my macbook this happened to me like twice. also my hands were damp im not sure if it was that or what. but it hasent acted up since.

see if it returns to normal within a few hours, if it doesnt or the problem comes back. take it back to apple.

4. zachhwilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses so far, my hands aren't damp.

The computer is out of warranty though, and I haven't got AppleCare so is this likely to cost?

I think in the UK (where I am) there is a legal 6/7 year cover, but I don't think people know about it and use it much.

Thanks

5. happle macrumors 6502a

im not totally sure on that one. best thing i can tell ya is bring it in if the problem persists. hopefully for your sake they will repair for free. if not i believe you can order trackpads on ebay for cheaper and put it in yourself. im sure theres directions online. would most likely save u about 100 bucks.

6. Macfreak456 macrumors newbie

Macfreak456

Take it into apple. Mine kinda did the same thing, it did it twice and if it does it a third time they said they will have to replace it.

7. howman66 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Not sure if this will help, but the battery in my Blackbook 4,1 was swelling, or became swollen, which prevented the mouse button from working. Not sure where them there fancy aluminum Macbooks keep their batteries, but, perhaps try removing it and see if your trackpad and mouse work.

Hope it helps, and good luck.

8. tsmacman macrumors member

hw do you try to use your computer if you have taken the battery out?

9. tangobob macrumors newbie

Those are known to have bum trackpads. That being said, they are cheap, for an Apple Store to replace it should be ~$100USD.

10. AlphaDogg, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Says who? Source please. :)

They are not cheap. You cannot replace the trackpad without replacing the topcase. That being said, it will got a pretty penny. Something like $300USD.

11. tonym911 macrumors newbie

My brand new MacBook Pro 13 (one week old) is also less than impressive in its trackpad operation. The cursor is often 'left behind' or just disappears. I've deactivated all the trick new trackpad functions as they were annoying me, especially single-tap which is far too sensitive.

12. tangobob macrumors newbie

I have replaced over 30 of these myself add that to the other tech's at my store it's well over 150.

On the unibody's the trackpad is a separate part.