Trackpad on 2011 macbook pro 15 not flush

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 73CortinaV8, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

I just bought a shiny new mbp 15/2.3ghz. I get it home and the first thing I notice is the left side of the trackpad is sunk down and not flush with the body of the computer.

The right side is perfectly flush. It is annoying since the edge is almost a bit sharp and I keep noticing it.

I don't remember this irregularity with the units in the store, and the trackpad on my GF's 2009 17" is perfectly flush.

I feel it's kinda a small thing to take the computer back and have it replaced, but then again I don't want to be constantly annoyed by the trackpad after dropping $2600 on a laptop.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. Remmnever macrumors member

I have a 2010 mbp 13" and the trackpad is not completely flush either. It doesn't bother me at all.

Why are you dragging your fingers over there anyway? The trackpad is so big you should have enough space to never go over the edges.

3. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

personally i'd return it. i got the 2.2 model and it's flush (ie sunk in equally throughout)

as you say, having dropped 2k+ on a laptop you want to make sure you're absolutely satisfied with it.

also it could be more prone to breaking if it's uneven and an edge sticks up like that.

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

5. 73CortinaV8 thread starter macrumors 6502

mine definitely is not.

6. 73CortinaV8 thread starter macrumors 6502

ugh - this thing is a dog.

The battery lasted 45 minutes on its 1st full charge. 45 minutes.

7. sdneidich macrumors member

Take it back! Either they will fix it, or replace it- and don't worry about it being a "small issue," they will refurbish it and sell it through their refurb program.

You should NOT have to deal with something not being perfect on your machine. You spend a lot of cash on it, and it should be right. Anyone at apple will tell you the same.

8. 73CortinaV8 thread starter macrumors 6502

you know, I swung by the apple store today and looked at the display 15inch mbps

their trackpads weren't much better. most were sunk down all around. I'm starting not to notice it.

I think I'm just going to keep it

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i've got 17" MBP 2.2ghx
    and trackpad is flush

like others have said... take it in for a look

10. iMackPro macrumors 6502

mines barely barely sunk in on the left. i didnt even notice it until i saw this thread. if i run a finger along the left and right side i can feel the edge on the left more than on the right..

are you going to take yours back? i dont know how they could fix it. and it really doesnt bother me, but i tend to resell my macs pretty often for the new ones and im scared this will hurt the resell value! but then again as i said i didnt notice it until you mentioned it

11. DRGN89 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe there is supposed to be a slight lift on the right since theres an option to click the bottom right corner for a secondary click