Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
so i had late 2008 MBP 15 unibody and now bought a mid 2012 MBP 15 non retina. all is awesome in comparsion, but only one things is really annoying. trackpad on newer model is more rough in use. seems like a different surface, not so smooth as on 2008 model, even colour is little different. i got my friends, who has one more MBP 15 late 2008 and MBP 17 2009. they all look exactly the same and have exactly the same smooth surface which is a lot better in use, while mine 2012 has even slighlty silveer color tint and the most important noticably not smooth in use since a first minute of use. yes i clean BOTH trackpads with some liquids and still no luck. can anyone confirm that it is normal and something i gotta get use to? totally disappointed as i really praised the trackpad on macbooks and this looks like a downslide in quality

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I hated the trackpads on the 2008s. Big old one-button, tiny surface area for the finger - the 2012 have a nice smooth glass surface with great multitouch capabilities. I dunno, personal preference I guess.

flusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
sorry but you got wrong info.i am talking about late 2008 that are unibody macbook pro's which has the same glass-type no-button multitouch trackpad as newer

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
sorry but you got wrong info.i am talking about late 2008 that are unibody macbook pro's which has the same glass-type no-button multitouch trackpad as newer

Oh. Well they've been all standardised trackpad parts since then in the Pros to the best of my knowledge. If yours feels a little weird I'd get it serviced.

flusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
they do look standardised but i did a research and found out that late 2008 15" and 17" 2009 had same trackpad part and wont fit 15" 2009-2012, which has already different part and fitment inside. i just dont have any friend to take a look at the same 2009-2012 macbook pro 15" to compare with mine.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I kept my late 2008 MBP as well as my Mid 2012 15" MBPr.

I just put them side by side after reading your post. It was a fun comparison, which I'd sum up simply as different. Actually I like them both and admire your attention to detail. Normally I'd be aware that they were different but didn't notice it till you created this thread.

Taking it one step further, I put my fresh new 15" 2015 MBPr alongside the other two. Even with the gimmick known as Force Touch turned off, I don't care for the somewhat deadened tactile feedback when performing a left click on this new computer. Both the older laptops have trackpads that feel more responsive and lively when clicking.

I'm sure some are impressed with Force Touch / 3D Touch as its called on iDevices. But I also believe that Apple itself isn't that sold on their own invention. If they were they wouldn't have left it off their iPad Pro.

flusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
thanks for your research that went even further to the newer model but retina 2012 came with the newer trackpad part with different fitment and so the surface is unknown for me

i just cant believe i have upgraded from 2008 to 2012 which on the look are the same BODY and trackpad, but trackpad just sucks and i really hate using it. back to 2008 feels right, but cant live without core i7 anymore :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.