trackpad on MBPr mid-2013 suddenly became unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrjayviper, Aug 3, 2016.

1. mrjayviper macrumors regular

So I was browsing the net and the trackpad suddenly becoming unresponsive. lots and lots of lag. dragging the mouse across the screen and it suddenly "brakes". page up and down with 2 fingers is the the same. I turned off the machine and I'm still getting the same results. from what I can see, the keyboard is dry. I definitely didn't spill any liquid while using it.

It's not related to browser I believe since I was experiencing the problem even before I open chrome!

Any ideas? thanks

edit: after creating this post, the screen zoom in and out by itself before returning to proper size! :(

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

May be worth trying the troubleshooting steps below:

1) Shut down the system with reopen windows when logging back in disabled

2) Now that the laptop is off, plug in the power cable. Along the left-hand side of your keyboard, press and hold CTRL + ALT/Option + Shift at the same time as the power button for 3 seconds. Then let go of the keys.

3) Press the power button to turn your Mac back on, then immediately press and hold CMD + ALT/Option + P + R until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times. Then let go of those keys.

Please quote this to let me know if it's any better.

3. mrjayviper thread starter macrumors regular

Hello. Tried all three and same results. I can see my mouse moving on its own!!!!!

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

Do you notice and bulging of the trackpad or the underside of the computer? A trackpad that's acting out and performing actions on its own can sometimes be caused by a defective and expanding battery pressing up against it.