trackpad on windows xp...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fearxtragedy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. fearxtragedy macrumors member

i was just wondering if there was any way to get windows xp to click when i tap the trackpad, instead of only when i push the button.. all the drivers are installed from the cd, i don't know why it doesn't work...

thanks.

2. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Perhaps it's disabled in Windows? I'm not sure of the exact steps anymore (it's been a while) but IIRC, you can go to:

Control Panel:

Keyboard/Mouse:

Trackpad tab

and then select "tap on" or something like that.

4. Pim macrumors member

Pim

5. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

tapping feature is not available in windows unfortunately (as far as I know)

you get the right click by placing two fingers on the trackpad and clicking.

just in case someone didn't know yet.

6. Pim macrumors member

Pim

Post of the week. I didn't know that!

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You mean the selection options, or the fact that it just refuses to recognize it?
    Wait till you here this, it'll blow your mind: two fingers will scroll as well.;)

8. Pim macrumors member

Pim

That I did know.

But I looked into the mouse settings, and coudn't find anything about enabling the trackpad to make a click.

9. HMoth84 macrumors newbie

HMoth84

I do wish the two-finger right click tap would work in Windows XP. I get an awkward look from my gf when I've just booted into Windows and get frustrated when it doesn't work for me...before realizing I have to click the ginormous trackpad button. Also, more awkwardness when I try to move around pages on her Dell with the two-finger scroll.

This switching to a Mac is causing grief in my relationship (rather, giving her more fuel)! I'd also like to apologize to those who feel they've just wasted a valuable 48 seconds by reading this silly post :)

But seriously, I'd love to hear about a way to enable the two-finger right click tapping feature when booted in Windows...I didn't realize how adapted I'd become to it until I began craving sweet sweet PC gaming.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ok, I have more precise directions this time. :p

Go to Control Panel

Then go to 'Printers and Other Hardware'

And then select 'Mouse'

Now you'll see several option tabs, and one of them should be labeled "tapping."

This is on an HP notebook though, but I'm sure that it should be there nonetheless. Try it and tell me if that works better.

11. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I think it is more that the boot camp drivers simply don't support tapping...
    anyways if someone gets it to work properly I'd be very much interested:)

12. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

The bootcamp drivers don't support it.

I did not know about two finger + click for a right-click in windows though. Why can't they just get the damn tapping to work?

Doesn't matter for me anyways with a dead keyboard/trackpad :(

13. Pim macrumors member

Pim

I don't think it's possible. I've looked everywhere (Windows' control panel doesn't make much sense) but couldn't find it. So I'm giving up.
    Not a big problem though, considering the fact that I only use Windows to play games, and when I play games, I normally use a mouse, which has a Right Mouse button :rolleyes:

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well it was there on the HP I looked at. Meh.
    I thought you were looking for tapping? Right-click should still work with the 2 fingers on the trackpad.