Trackpad or not

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chris650, Nov 4, 2010.

1. chris650 macrumors regular

just bought an imac 27... magic mouse..

is magic trackpad better?

comparing with magic mouse, what are the pro and con???

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

u can't compare them since they are different devices. trackpad works great when surfing the web or going through pictures. Mouse of course works better when playing with Photoshop or editing videos.

3. joudbren macrumors regular

Trackpad works great for me so far. I almost took it back when I first bought it as it just seemed a little alien to me and then decided to give myself a little more time with it. At first I enabled the tap mode for button press but that became a pain and I was constantly opening or doing things by accident.

I turned off the tap mode and went back to the default mode where you have to physically push the trackpad for a button press and that is working fine. It's easier to press along the bottom edge so I scroll now with my finger and use my thumb for a button press at the bottom edge. Pressing down with two fingers gives you a right button click.

Now that I'm used to the thing, it's a keeper. I was having some mild wrist pain on and off from my mouse and using the trackpad has eliminated that. As someone else already mentioned, it won't totally replace a mouse but I'm now at about 90% trackpad use and 10% mouse. Using both breaks up the stress on my wrist and I'm happy. Being able to use the gestures on the trackpad like "pinch zoom", etc. has become indispensable to me. Cheers!

P.S. I'm using a Microsoft bluetooth mouse as my second input device, not a Magic Mouse. I have a Magic Mouse that came with my iMac but I hate the thing. It's uncomfortable to hold and the acceleration algorithms are awful compared to the Microsoft Mouse or the Trackpad. The Magic Mouse even maxed out on acceleration settings is unbearably slow and tedious to move across a 27" screen, at least for me. Not sure why they can get this right on the Trackpad and not on the Magic Mouse.

James

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Have u tried or have BTT utility? The Magic Mouse is crippled without it.

5. joudbren macrumors regular

Nope! I'll check it out. Thanks!

James

6. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

I adore the trackpad. With bettertouchtool, the thing is incredible. You can do dozens of gestures with it.

7. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

Trackpads awesome mainly because of the easy to use gestures

8. sarahk macrumors newbie

Pro/Con

Pro: It's useful and interactive. Con: It's expensive, and just an other gadget.

9. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Pure speculation, but I think the trackpad sales are going to blow up once Lion is released.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I love my trackpad. The Magic Mouse is sitting now in the box in my garage.