Trackpad Over Sensitive (after upgrade to Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBrody, Feb 27, 2011.

1. iBrody macrumors 6502

I have a Late 2008 MBP/2.53 Ghz and prefer to use tap to click/2 finger secondary tap.

[​IMG]

When running Leopard OS I had no trackpad issues, but after upgrading to Snow Leopard (currently on v.10.6.6), linked webpages and files/folders open when my second finger (accidentally) touches the trackpad even when I am still (one finger) navigating. In addition, if I am scrolling with 2 fingers and pause, sometimes the whole hyperlink area will highlight and sometimes activate.

I don't recall this ever happening with Leopard, and it is very frustrating.

My parents have SL installed natively on their MBP, and from memory, I believe that their trackpad does not behave like this.

I posted about this previously a few months back and there didn't seem to be a solution (there's also a lengthy thread in the Apple Support forum with no solution) and I therefore decided to revert back to the Leopard OS.

However, I recently had a Genius Bar appointment about different issues (screen flicker and SuperDrive not working), and so I reinstalled SL to inform the Genius about the trackpad behaviour (but at that time I hadn't really tested as to when the links/files/folders accidentally activate - I thought it was just random), the Genius guy said he would look into the issue of it being over sensitive, and I now have the MBP back but there's no change with the trackpad issue. It's only now that I have concluded links/folders activate when my 2nd finger touches the trackpad whilst the first finger is currently navigating.

I trust the Javavirtualmachine differences can be ignored when running Disk Utility as it's non critical, or could these issues be having an effect?

[​IMG]

My Applecare runs out in November, and I really want this issue resolved before then. My nearest Apple Store is 20 miles away and so I don't want to waste a journey if this can be resolved at home.

So what I need to know before deciding to go to Apple again I guess, is this behaviour normal with SL? If it is, maybe I need to check my parents MBP again to lay my concerns to rest.

I hope I have made some sense with the above! Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Filipek macrumors member

Hii

I bought my first MBP (first apple computer ever) last friday, and I experienced the same ' problem '. I thought it was normal though, but I have no further experience at all, and it is quite annoying indeed, it's very very sensitive...

3. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

Visited my parents tonight and tested their trackpad, and you have to touch the trackpad with a lot more force using a second finger to enable a new link to open than you do on mine.

I took an (almost) identical video from The Sun website on both Mac's for proof and will get in touch with Apple Support to see what they suggest.

So frustrating as I never had this problem when running Leopard.