Trackpad problems 2016 15" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grandaddy111, Dec 29, 2016.

1. grandaddy111 macrumors newbie

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced any problems with the trackpad? Having returned the first custom specced 2.9ghz i7 I have just received a second and the trackpad on both have had the same problem. At certain times in certain areas the trackpad will not click i.e when you try to click the trackpad is rigid. On the first laptop it seemed to be in the lower left of the trackpad and this time it's in the middle on the right. It is not consistent but easily reproducible.

I have arranged to return the second one, with the third currently on order, but obviously I am worried this may be a design fault. I'm going to an Apple Store to try the standard spec one tomorrow but wondered if anyone else had experienced these problems?

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

There are two spots on left and right edge (to the bottom) where if I try to click exactly at the edge, I cannot click. I assumed this is due to construction, even though the click isn't real, the trackpad does move a bit when you press, and here it is firm. This doesn't look like an issue to me. Certainly not a place where I would ever click (I literally have to press the edge).

Wouldn't worry about it, if it's on the very edge. If not, exchange it.

3. grandaddy111 thread starter macrumors newbie

With the first one I noticed the issue straight away during regular use and it was annoying to the point of making the laptop unusable. I am probably being fussy with the second one as the issue is not in a place I would normally click, nevertheless I would expect a brand new unit to have no issues. I'll be interested to see how the third one is. I am going to try a display one at the Apple Store tomorrow - hopefully It'll be ok and put my mind at rest.

4. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Are you using tap-to-click, or are you using the actual clicky parts in the lower corners? I had lots of issues with the trackpad, but some people seem to report that it may have been a hardware problem with a specific machine, not a general problem with the model.

Biggest issue I had was difficulty getting it to recognize clicks. I have tap turned off, I just click in the lower left/right corners, and I had... pretty erratic luck with clicking. Especially, though, the palm detection works against just bumping the touchpad, but it was really bad at keeping palm contact from turning a left-click into a right-click.

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

Someone pointed out that it could be the palm rejection. If you click somewhere else and drag you can get those edges to register.

Might need to be tuned more. I don't think it's a hardware problem

6. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I don't think palm rejection should be rejecting actual clicks, complete with the click sound and significant pressure.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'm betting it's a palm issue. I've found I've had to be carful or occasionally a click won't happen (rigid). I'm 100% certain it's because I'm touching the pad somewhere else with my wrist, because as soon as I adjust, the second click attempt registers.

8. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I did some pretty careful testing with my hand and arm completely away from the laptop except for the finger I was poking the trackpad with, and still had pretty significant difficulty with clicks. I got better performance, slightly, when I told it to use lighter pressure.

... But then I got a laptop which has actual physical buttons which are separate from the touchpad area, and I'm much happier.

9. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I was totally frustrated with the trackpad and didn't use it at all. Totally erratic, palm rejection was horrible and it just kept right clicking when I didn't want it to. Once I updated to 10.12.2, the issues were gone. If you updated and are still having issues, go and exchange it.

10. dobry macrumors newbie