trackpad protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M1K3YY, Apr 18, 2010.

1. M1K3YY macrumors newbie

i just bought a macbook pro last week, and i dont want to get the color of the trackpad worn down. iknow there are skins out there that can go over it, and i kno apple sells the moshi one, but ive heard lots of people not liking that one and it decreasing the sensitivity. what do you guys find the best solution is for keeping the trackpad nice, like new while still maintaining the sensitivity. or should i just not worry about it?

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

don't worry about it.

3. M1K3YY thread starter macrumors newbie

but it will still get that wear(Discoloration) in the center over time right?, how much time we talkin..

4. DLovett macrumors member

It's made of very durable and smooth glass, which basicly won't wear through the computers lifetime.

If you plan to keep the machine for 10+ years, it might be a different story.

5. ttran88 macrumors regular

I've had my MBP for about 6 months and I currently don't see any discoloration. I love the smoothness of the trackpad as is and I wouldn't want to ruin it by putting a sticker over it. I would recommend a keyboard protector though since the keys get really discolored and shiny due to the acidity/sweat of your fingers. I also have an invisibleshield covering the whole mbp which works very well and feels like I don't have a case at all. Another thing I have is the moshi iVisor which protects your screen and makes it more matte. Very easy to install compared to a regular screen protector where you get bubbles. The iVisor has adhesive around the bezel and not in the center so all you need to do is make it stick around the bezel.

6. M1K3YY thread starter macrumors newbie

so i shouldnt get that weird oily lookin circle like the older macbooks? im just wondering..kinda looks like it might be starting to get discolored a bit now.. and i dont want it to look hella used after only a month of use

7. ttran88 macrumors regular

You bought it last week and you see discoloration already? That's odd, maybe you are really acidic. Drink more water to get your pH up.

8. M1K3YY thread starter macrumors newbie

sweet..sounds good.. yeaa i was lookin at that iVisor..im usually a lil iffy about installing something like that..how easy was it to install? if you ever wanted to remove it, would it leave any sticky residue behind and are u seeing any friction from the keys being that screen is a lil more raised from the protector?

9. ttran88 macrumors regular

No the protector is very thin that its barely raises it. When I feel from the outer perimeter of the screen and then touch the ivisor, the ivisor is still lower than the perimeter. Hard to explain. I recommend a keyboard protector though, those shiny spots makes me anal

10. M1K3YY thread starter macrumors newbie

its weird your seeing shiny spots on your keys and not on the trackpad and my situation is vice versa.. i dunno if i like the feel of the keys with a cover on it.. the trackpad thing is really bothering me tho..blah

11. ttran88 macrumors regular

Naw, I don't see shiny spots on my keys. Im preventing that with a keyboard protector. The trackpad does not have a protector but doesnt have spots (looks new)

12. Lambros macrumors regular

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls of all ages. In 2010 Apple designed laptops which look great and (most of which) have the new processors by Intel. Unfortunately, people are ruining them with terrible protectors that cover up the beauty of the Apple Designers. So, please, for the love of humanity, STOP! It's a computer which you purchased because it looks awesome, Why would you put a case over the top of it unless taking it from destination A to B? I mean, seriously, the computer looks amazing and is made from metal and glass. The metal is aluminium right through, and (as far as I believe) it is not covered in paint. From this, the metal itself cannot decolourise. Now, for that piece of glass which rests in the middle, that really is a first for me, because since when did glass decolourise? Seriously...its glass! Maybe your past Macbook didn't have glass as the trackpad. If you really want to ruin your device with cases and all the bulls**t, then go get a PC and put Snow Leopard on it. If you weren't getting a Mac for the exterior design, then why did you get one? It really isn't worth the extra $1000 from a Dell Laptop in my opinion.

So, if you want my 2c, then forget it, and enjoy your laptop as much as you can before the next one comes out.

Good luck!

13. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Strictly speaking the MBP uses an Al alloy. In any case, Aluminium (and its alloys) are not a very resistant to corrosion.

Unlike some people, I'm not ordering a MBP for its looks - I prefer the black Thinkpads - more durable and less flashy.

I personally doubt whether the trackpad will discolour, but bear in mind that glass is not particularly resistant to certain acids (HF etc) and that plastic fares better in certain circumstances.

FWIW I won't be using any protection products on my laptop, beyond being careful - what's the use in having a 10year old pristine computer?

14. kkm9 macrumors newbie

Not all of us have the new glass trackpad!

I came here looking for comparative feedback between the Moshi, Marware and Apple versions of trackpad protection. My MBP is about 2 years old, God forbid, and still has the aluminum trackpad. My last MBP *did* develop a shiny spot in the middle of the scroll pad, and, my wrist wore down the aluminum surface on the edge of the wrist support. Made the MBP look ugly. Which is unappealing if I want to sell it later on.

So about a year ago I bought the Marware set. I like the wrist supports/protectors, but the topcoat of the center trackpad protector piece has begun to peel off. Also, I originally had to cut it to make it function properly so the thing looks like an ugly mess. HENCE, the wish for input.

This and another thread on trackpads (that one got snarky-stupid masquerading as humor) seem to assume everyone has the new one with the glass trackpad. So for those of us old fashioned aluminum'ers, if anyone has feedback about their trackpad protector, I'd appreciate it.