Trackpad Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Keysmark, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Keysmark macrumors member

Jun 9, 2010
    I received a trackpad when I bought my new 27" iMac a few months ago, and I use it quite a bit. But I still haven't decided whether to use the "Tap to Click" option.

I understand the advantages when you are holding it on your lap or using it away from a hard surface, such as your desk. However, those advantages disappear when you are at a desk.

The one problem I have is that lightly touching the trackpad causes unwanted actions, like contact with a link to change to a different screen.

Question 1: Is there a way to adjust the tap pressure required?
    Question 2: I am wondering if most of you use "Tap to click".

2. vincenz macrumors 601

Oct 20, 2008
    1) There's no way of adjusting the pressure, from what I know. The trackpad is capacitive and not haptic, so it won't respond to different pressure from a finger. There might be third-party programs out there with third-party input methods like a stylus that might be able to though. You might be able to adjust "sensitivity" of the trackpad with third-party programs, but not "pressure."

2) I definitely use tap to click. Sometimes I just don't feel like pressing on the trackpad and want to change it up. Plus I find it faster than clicking. Once you get used to it, you rarely make mistakes.
  3. loiphin macrumors newbie

Apr 21, 2009
    It does respond to pressure and really well!

If you try out BetterTouchTool , you can pull up "Live View" showing your fingers in real-time on the trackpad as it sees it. The harder you push, the bigger the finger circles get. Very cool.