Trackpad question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NSK123, Nov 21, 2008.

1. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Do you actually have to click the trackpad to get a reaction? I think that the noise of "clicking" is annoying so I was wondering if it would react if you just tabbed the top?

I don't own the new macbook so I have no idea.. Could someone shed some light on this?

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Do you mean the 'Tap to click' function? It's the same as previous MBs.
    Once it's activated, the only time I ever needed to click the button/pad was to do 'drag and drop'.

Attached Files:

3. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

kool.. i was kinda worried about that one myself (getting my first mac ever in like 18 days soo :) )

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yeah I was worried about it too, but it didn't stop me from getting one :p Though I was quite relieved to learn that they didn't disable tap to click in the new MBs. You don't even need to click it to drag and drop. All you do is double tap, but keep your finger to the trackpad on the second tap, then just drag it around from there. And there's a feature that allows you to remove your finger from the pad momentarily to keep dragging if you come to the edge of the trackpad.

5. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

yes its comforting hearing something nice about the new bacbooks cause i really want to get mine soon and i want to be sure im making the best decision there. After all what i hear: plp dont like trackpad, the glossy screen, keys out of shape and not straight, keys imprint on screen, macbook freezes when 4 Gb upgrade, loose battery case, battery not charging fully and lots more. sold my windows based laptop already :(, hope me doing this switch to mac is worth it.

6. cycler15 macrumors member

What exactly do the "Dragging" and "Drag Lock" option do?

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Dragging:

Drag lock:

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

You gotta remember that it's those people that are unhappy with their systems that are gonna be posting on these forums. I've heard from many who haven't had a single problem with their new MacBooks, and I am one of them. And in all honesty, of all the companies I've had to deal with, Apple is the best for warranty service and overall customer service. If you get a defective one, I am sure they'll be willing to work with you until you are happy with your system.

Those would be the features I mentioned in a previous post. Dragging allows you to double tap and hold (do a double tap but keep your finger on the pad after the second tap) and drag your finger around the trackpad to "click and drag" without physically pressing any buttons. The Drag Lock allows you to lift your finger from the trackpad and reposition it if you come to an edge. So if you're dragging an icon from left to right, you get half way across the screen and you run out of trackpad, you simply lift your finger and place it on the left side of the trackpad and continue dragging it across. Then you tap again to "release" the lock.

Edit: Thanks silverblack. You beat me to it :p