trackpad scrolling results in font size change

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SOP, Apr 24, 2010.

1. SOP macrumors newbie

I have a new macbook pro. Scrolling, i.e. 2-finger, on the trackpad often, but randomly, results in font size changes (e.g. in Safari, mail, etc.); in word and powerpoint it often changes a word or paragraph to subscript or superscript. This also happens often with cursor movement on the trackpad, i.e. single finger sweeps.

It appears that trackpad usage is randomly triggering command+ or command-. Has anyone seen this? It happens more frequently with fast motions. Needless to say this can be extremely frustrating, as it happens very frequently.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Are you holding down any other keys while this happens?

3. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

im pretty sure it's because in safari the font size changes when you do the pinch in and out gesture. it doesn't require you to hold down a modifier key. so when you're scrolling you're doing the pinching move kinda

4. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I had a similar problem in 10.6.2 with MS Excel 2004. Inevitably a large upward scroll would cause the text to shrink so much that the application froze. This would usually happen after switching back to Excel using Expose or Spaces.

In 10.6.3 the problem seems to occur much less frequently.

Sounds like you are pinching slightly before instigating a scrolling gesture. Try using two fingers together.

5. SOP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, but this is a bit different: I have 2-finger pinch off (for now, trying to determine the problem); I am used to macbook pro's, and am being very careful not to be touching with other fingers. Just simple 2-finger scrolling will sometimes result in consistently larger and larger (or smaller and smaller) fonts, just like command+ or command-.

6. onedatewonder macrumors newbie

i have found that this happens when i do a two-finger scroll and THEN press/hold the control key within about a second of completing the scroll.
    thoughts?

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Same thing happens here. It has to do with the inertial scrolling, because it doesn't happen when deactivated.

It's weird, because normally, cmd-scroll is used for screen zoom, but this is clearly a different thing ...:confused:

8. DonTapscott macrumors newbie

DonTapscott

--- Post Merged, May 2, 2017 ---

--- Post Merged, May 2, 2017 ---
    Yes I have the same problem. A swipe of a single finger randomly reduces or increases font sixe.