Trackpad set screw diameter/thread pitch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaDogg, Dec 17, 2014.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I spilled water on my trackpad and immediately took apart my computer. Unfortunately, I stripped the torx socket of the set screw and crossthreaded it in its hole. So now it's stuck inside my machine and it's not screwed in enough to allow the trackpad to click. I plan on heading to the machine shop at my university tomorrow and drilling it out (thereby destroying the screw). Then I'll chase the threads with the correct tap. In order to do so, however, I need to know the thread spec. Does anyone happen to know?

2. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

It might help if you told us which model of Macbook Pro you have.

Secondly, most Torx are metric. So instead of drilling it out, you could use an easy-out, and probably measure the diameter and get an idea of the thread pitch. Because if you're going to drill it out, you better know the proper diameter to start.

3. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Wait... You first spilled water on your trackpad (at which point your computer might still have been okay) then before determining if it bricked your laptop, proceeded to open the laptop to get to the water (which in my opinion should've been too late) and then broke your trackpad by stripping it's mounting screw? And no I'm not being sarcastic, just trying to understand.

Sorry for the problems you're having OP but it "seems" like you made a non-issue into an actual one.

Unless of course it was a large amount of fluid and your computer did shut down because of the spill (which you didn't mention in your post), then I could understand your wanting to open your laptop.

Either way, good luck with your repair.

4. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

If you can get to the screw you can use a small circular saw to cut a line across the top of the screw, that way you can use a flat head screwdriver to tighten/remove