Trackpad stain

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riverpl8, Nov 9, 2010.

1. riverpl8, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

riverpl8 macrumors newbie

I have had my macbook pro 13 for about 4 months. A month ago I notices a small stain on the trackpad, now its has spread around the edges of the trackpad. They really do not interfere with functionality but its an ugly stain and I did not pay my money to have a stain on the trackpad. The stain seams to be under the glass of the trackpad.

I just wanted to ask if any one had any similar issues and if I took my macbook to the store would they replace the trackpad or replace the macbook entirely? Here are some pictures of the stain.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

are you cleaning it with something?

Even the iKlear that Apple uses ... says do not use on the Trackpad

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

have i tried cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol?

4. riverpl8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not the trackpad, I have only used the black cloth that comes with the macbook.

I just cleaned the keyboard with a damp cloth, but I never used it on the trackpad.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

anyone know how come you can't clean the trackpad with iklear?

6. crypticlineage macrumors regular

of course you can clean trackpad with iklear. Just dont let any get inside the crevices around the trackpad. Spray it on the cloth and then wipe it clean. iKlear is safe for all around use on apple devices.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

From the picture it looks like liquid spilled on the trackpad and got in through the edges. But if you didn't spill anything on it, then I wonder if the internal battery is leaking. If you take it to an Apple store I am sure they might fix it for free.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

it specifically says right on the iKlear bottle ... Avoid Trackpad and Clickwheel

whether you choose to ignore that or not is up to the person using it :cool:

9. Resist macrumors 68030

But does that take into account that the Macbook Pro trackpad is now made of glass and not plastic?

10. Darrenyo macrumors member

If your almost certain that the stain isn't your fault then bring it to an apple store and you might get it replaced under warranty.

Its worth a try, don't say you clean it with any liquids either when they ask you ;)

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I personally do not know why they are telling people to avoid the Trackpad and Clickwheel other than the obvious ... however maybe if you try it enough, you can convince them to remove that advice from the bottle ... your call. :cool:

12. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It looks like the glass veneer is starting to delaminate from the trackpad base at the edges.

13. riverpl8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't cleaned the trackpad or the bottom part with any liquid. Just the keyboard with a lightly damp cloth. I think its what drambuie commented on, that the glass might be delaminating from the edges.

I will take it to the apple store hopefully on Wed or Thurs and post back with an update. Thanks for all the comments.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

just grab q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol and see if it comes off.

15. Resist macrumors 68030

In the first post he said it appears to be under the glass trackpad.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It looks like either:

1) Liquid under the glass.

Or

2) The glass is separating from what's under it.