Trackpad Tap

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Syndacate, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Syndacate macrumors regular

I looked, but it doesn't seem to be a popular item, people like the button :(. I like tap the pad to click, but there's no control for it, that I can find in Windows. Is it obvious and I'm just missing it? Or do I need drivers? Or is it impossible, or what?

Thanks in advance.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not sure what model you own. But the older mac laptops that have trackpad buttons do NOT have a drive to allow tap. No 3rd party ones either. So get used to using the button of get a cheap usb mouse.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

put in the the first grey install Disc in Windows and the Boot Cam drivers install will open. install them. reboot. two finger right click will magically work!

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's not the same thing.

Unfortunately, Apple's drivers still don't support tapping to click.

I don't think there's a third party solution either.

5. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Aight, thanks.

Yea, I don't know what "version" mac-book I own either...it was the current version before they JUST released the new MB and MBP's - I got it back in like February, like a week after their version change.

I have boot camp drivers installed, and no richthomas, none of them "magically work" - right click works if I hold 2 fingers on it and click with the button, but as with single click, it doesn't work for just tapping.

It seems as though there's no solution to this, which seems kind of stupid to me...but whatever :-\.

Thanks anyways.

EDIT:
    I realize you can use a mouse, and when I'm using it on a desk I do...it's all those times when I don't have a desk that a mouse becomes a pain in the ass to drag around.

6. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

There is a tap click driver in the bootcamp drivers included in the new macbooks. It might be worth it for someone to try it on the old macbooks.

7. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Are you sure it's tap to click in windows too?

My friend just bought a new base model macbook. It indeed might be worth it for me to try the drivers software.

I'll let you know how it works out, thanks!

8. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

Yes I am sure. Is not enabled by default. You have to click on the bootcamp icon in the taskbar and check the box.

9. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I have to run to the store tomorrow or the next day so I'll try and remember to stop by my friend's place and pick up his disks. I'll come back here and let ya know how it worked out.

10. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I'm having a little issue with my new MBP, tap click works in window but two finger right click doesn't. Any ideas?

11. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

New MBP Track Pad

I am learning about the my new MBP (Late 2008) in Window Xp with Apple's drivers loaded. The track pad now has a tab in the BootCamp windows utility.

You can set the trackpad to accept taps to select.... this is BIG. The lack of being able to tap select native BootCamp Win Xp has been a downer on my 17" SR MBP and drives the use of a mouse.

The two finger scroll works, and a two finger select with a button press gets a "mouse right click" function.

I went back to look at the BootCamp utility on the 17" SR MBP and the track pad tab is not there. I think the drivers are at the 2.1 level (but not sure).

Neil

12. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

I had the same issue, it says two fingers gets you the right click, but I find that it only works if I use 3 fingers. Which is fine with me, I just thought it didn't work at first, but 3 fingers does the trick everytime.

13. kl0wne macrumors newbie

Anyone had any luck loading the new bootcamp drivers onto an older MBP?

14. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, sorry for the extremely long delay. I've been very busy with work.

I got a hold of my friend's new mac book (not pro) DVD's. I installed the new mac book drivers on my mac book pro - Windows Vista Business (32 bit). I enabled tap to click in the control panel, and it worked. Though the functionality was "iffy" at best - it didn't work too well, it was more of a pain than simply clicking the button. Unlike it is in OS X.

Oh well.

/Thread

15. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

16. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

This actually begs an interesting question to me.

Can I download the drivers for my copy of boot camp (on my macbook pro) for Vista including tap to click?

Tap to click is so nice when running XP in VM's, it's such a shame I can't use it in regular windows for some odd-ball reason. I was just wondering that if I installed it using the macbook drivers - it has to be supported by my hardware - b/c obviously it worked - so did they "release" this for regular "not new" macbooks?

17. aluminumapple macrumors regular

hm.

i got this macbook just because of its revolutionary touchpad but eh. -=

18. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Don't even go there. I'm still sore that all of us 'old Mac' users dont have this!

I've tried to workaround it, but it just can't be done!

Bummer.